Correct Top Irons for 1912 Touring?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Correct Top Irons for 1912 Touring?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg sarky K on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 05:37 pm:

I need to know which of these set of top irons are correct for a 1912 Touring. The set on the left was hanging near the bows in dads garage. But I found this other set in the rafters and I noticed they are somewhat different.

I want to make certain I have the right ones for the right car. I also have a 13 Touring so maybe one is correct for that one?

Does anyone know which set would be correct for a 12 Touring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 06:25 pm:

The ones below are for 1912.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 06:27 pm:

This is 1915, very similar to 1913 - 14:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 06:28 pm:

Bottom line, the set on the left in your photos is 1911 - 1912.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 06:33 pm:

The front bow is different (shorter) due to the windshield being further back on the car (1913 bottom half slopes rearward from the firewall).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By roy palmer on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

So the irons on the right are 1913??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 06:57 am:

The top sockets (there are no top irons or bows pictured) on the right in Greg's photos are 1913 - 1917. Each of those years has subtle differences - from those photos, with no dimensions, it is as close as I can get.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 07:42 am:

Roy,

The set of irons on the right appear to fit a 1913/1914 touring car.

I will give you the measurements of each socket on my car (1914). The fourth group on the right has "socket one" on the right. I measured from the center of the socket pin, or hole, to the open end of the socket.

Beginning on the far right:

1. Socket one (bow one) = 24"

2. Socket two (bow two) = 23-1/2"

There are two positions for socket one to be mounted on socket two, depending if top is up or down, and each is from the bottom pin on socket two: 5-5/8" and 17-1/2".

3. Socket three (bow three) = 23-1/2"

4. Socket four (rear bow 4) = 28-1/2".

This set was made by Ron Brown many years ago. John Boorinakis, Topologist (I like that) made a new right socket two for me to replace a broken one. Great service.

http://www.topsockets.com/

Ken in Texas

(Message edited by drkbp on October 18, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg sarky K on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 09:38 am:

Thanks guys...again ,for the info!!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration