Starter suck disengaged

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Starter suck disengaged
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

I know we discussed this before but I can't find the thread.
My starter is stuck in the disengaged position again.
Last time all I did was remove the cover and barely touched it to get it to move forward.

Someone told us what we should do to fix the problem but I can't find it.

Please tell me again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

Woops stuck. Stuck. Stuck
I am beginning to dislike automatic spell correction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

Put it in high gear and rock it till you here a click.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

Not stuck engaged
It is stuck disengaged
It goes weer weer weer without engaging.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 08:17 pm:

Hmmm? Well now ya got me. I guess I'll be checking back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 08:42 pm:

When mine did this it was one of two reasons: flywheel ring gear stripped or one of the bendix bolts came out. Your mileage may vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

Fred,

Bendix drive screw too long...

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/135213.html?1270946864

Better story - with pictures!!!

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/249113.html

Good Luck !

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 12:15 am:

Be sure the battery is giving full voltage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 08:01 am:

Might be a bent shaft or a burr on the shaft or bendix. Need to take it apart and make sure the head of the bendix slides smoothly on the shaft. If not, you may need to remove the starter and check the shaft for runout. They are easily bent and easily straightened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 08:43 am:

Also check to make sure your bendix spring is still in one piece! Had that happen to me:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 09:03 am:

Could be if you put a new bendix in a few years back they were known to stick a lot, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 09:11 am:

I think I fixed it -- Maybe :-)

The sliding gear was sticking in the retracted position so I pulled the bendix from the car.

When I rotated it back and forth I found that sometimes it stuck and other times it was OK.
The speed of return did not seem to make a difference.
It was apparent that something at the end of the worm was not right so I used a small round file at the end of the three groves.
It seemed to get better, therefore I filed a bit more and reinstalled it.
We will have to see what happens!

I didn't take pictures but found this one from an old post so I could show you the location I filed with an arrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 03:09 am:

Fred, I think that has been a common problem in the past. Maybe more so with repro bendix drives? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

Did I do the right thing or is there a trick I need to know?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration