Anderson timer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Anderson timer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 07:22 am:

How often do you clean your Anderson timer? Coming home from Canterbury Shaker Village Vintage Car Show my '26 started running not very smooth.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Canterbury Shaker Village
Canterbury Shaker Village

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms9bB6fyNb0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Eaton on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 07:44 am:

I clean mine and add a touch of greece or vaseline at the beginning of each driving season, however I may not drive as many miles as you. Good luck, John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 08:21 am:

If it needs cleaning, especially so badly that the motor is running rough, I would suspect the seal on the cam shaft is bad, and it's filling the timer with motor oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 09:25 am:

Warren, time for a modern seal (if you don't already have one) and a TW timer. An erratic Anderson was just one of three timers including a roller that I replaced with a TW and so far, been great smooth running. One of 'em has been on for two years now with nary a glitch, let alone cleaning it. I'll open 'em up next spring and wipe them out just because.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 11:40 am:

I wash it each servicing lube and let it do its job
I use the modern seal on the cam, and double check my wires making sure they are not touching the block

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

I have a modern seal on mine so I clean it out every time the engine is out of the car for overhaul... or whenever there is a problem, whichever comes first.

The overhaul just about always comes first.

However about 20 years ago I did have the spring fall out of my flapper while on a trip (through the Black Rock Desert). That time I cleaned it out as well as pop in my spare flapper since I did not have a ball point pen for spare parts with me.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 03:29 pm:

I would have to agree with Tim. I have yet to hear any bad results from a TW timer. Sure smoothed out both of my Ts that have one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 06:15 pm:

I've found Anderson timers, right out of the box, need to be setup somewhat to get proper performance out of them. I'm running Anderson timers on all three of my Model Ts and I'm pleased with their performance but it didn't happen without some adjustments on the 4 contact plates inside the timer. When the timer is centered properly on the camshaft and the timing cover, and the flapper is running properly on lubricated contacts, they perform as well as any others. Along those same lines I assure the wiring harness from the coil box to the timer is in proper repair and my coils are setup right. I splurged and bought the Strobo spark and find it to be a great investment. My plugs are gapped at .027" and my plug wires from the coil box to the plugs are in excellent condition. I continue to check the magneto post to assure I don't have lint built up around it. All this is checked, cleaned, maintained and lubricated at the beginning of Minnesota's touring season and a couple more times before the cars are put away in the Fall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 06:37 pm:

I have them on two of the T's and put them on right out of the box and leave them alone as long as the engine runs smoothly. If it starts to run rough, the timer is one of the things I check and clean.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

Oh yeah? Well, okay! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 08:56 am:

Thanks, to everyone for their helpful suggestion.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 12:32 pm:

I'm Proud to say I have an E-Timer and will never have worry about wear or cleaning or service of the roller, flapper or wiper.

So far after many many thousands of miles now logged on the E-timers by several long run drivers they have a perfect dependability record!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 10:02 pm:

I bought a new Anderson timer
Have never used it as I have few old ones that are still working great I just buy new flappers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 07:44 am:

I bought a new set of spark plugs from Lang's and will try adjusting the needle valve, hope it solves the problem.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration