A Library of Model T Tours

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: A Library of Model T Tours
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Dachenbach on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 09:53 am:

Our club is thinking of starting a library of old and new tours. The idea being that when we want to do a tour we can draw on past tours to base the current tour on. Hopefully, save some time and make the job of tour director less daunting. I heard that either the MTFCA or the MTFCI had such a library but I can't find it. Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 10:30 am:

Great Idea! We mentioned this quite awhile ago, but it didn't go anywhere.
This would be great for anyone hosting a tour, whether it is a Regional or National group, or an individual that just wants to tour a certain area.
To have it online would be even better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 10:33 am:

I haven't seen it either, but it's a good idea. There are things about tour planning that are easy to miss. I've only done it once, and found some things I should have done differently.

Example: I made maps with the route marked.

And I made an itinerary with distances in miles and tenths.

It all seemed very clear to me, but in actual practice some of the navigators had trouble matching the itinerary with the map. What did I do wrong? I should have numbered each item on the itinerary and put the numbers on the map.

It would be good to have a source of suggestions for tour planning for folks who haven't done it before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 11:03 am:

The HCCA is working at creating a tour library that would eventually be available to any group and would store tours submitted from any group. I don't know how far along the project has come. I believe it's in Carl Pate's hands. Carl, are you reading this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 11:50 am:

AS a club the tour director does not plan our individual tours. Once a year we have a meeting (food involved! :-) ) and we suggest and vote on the tours put on by our club members for the up coming year. The tour leader for each tour is the member that suggested the tour, they plan it. We seem to do the many of the same tours each year ( :-( don't rock the boat) so not much planing is needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

Steve,

I was on that tour and enjoyed the heck out of it. Labeling on the turn instruction and map may help a couple folks, I've never seen that done before though (which doesn't mean it isn't a good idea). The one thing I would add is that a more detailed map for larger towns could help. My wife and I only got messed up once and that was in Ponca City when going to the private car museum. Of course we've never missed a turn before so it couldn't possibly have been our fault. :-)

Some folks can't or won't read a map, some have no sense of distance, some have trouble with left and right. In the end, even the best maps and instruction won't prevent some people from getting off track. I like to think that as long as we all get to lunch and back to the motel it's all good.

Walt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 01:16 pm:

My favorite tours are the ones where I just follow the most interesting looking road.

Besides, getting lost IS the point ! You never see the cool stuff staying on the beaten track.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Dachenbach on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

On Google Maps, you can chose Bicycle Maps and it will route you on back roads and give you an idea of elevation changes. You can drag the map routes to different roads of your choosing. One problem is that it will try to take you on actual bicycle paths if it can. It gives a time that is about double what you can do in the T. Takes some practice to learn how to do it but once you get it mastered, it will print out a turn by turn with mileage and a map. A nice tool to get you started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

The Space City T's / Texas T Party has ben doing that for years. Bonus: As you get older you don't remember that you've done all this previously!

I refuse to use a GPS on a Model T tour. I have followed Model T's who were totally lost, which resulted in our car and all those behind us getting lost too. As Burger says, that's fun right there, I don't care who you are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 02:28 pm:

The tours that I have most enjoyed are ones I have called "by the seat of your pants tours". Plan a general route, decide where to spend the nights, and go for it. This allows you to have a more leasurly trip. You can stop to smell the roses without pressure to make it to prearranged checkpoints. This seems to me to be a more "period" method of enjoying these I'm cars. A little research ahead by anyone in the group usually comes up with great places to eat and things to see. Often the best are things we see on the way. I usually do a quick drive through so that we don't get caught by major construction or serious surprises.
Tours that I have enjoyed least are the endurance runs with blinders on and a destination as the goal, hardly a potty stop along the way. The national tours are sometimes the worst where many seem to be showing how fast their cars can go. .

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration