Question - new band return springs/old springs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Question - new band return springs/old springs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 11:05 am:

Replacing my tranny bands, I ordered new return springs. The springs that are in the car have been there since at least the 60's with few (trouble free) driving hours since. They seem to still have good tension. The new springs I received are a good 1/4 inch plus longer than what I pulled out and a whole lot stiffer. I decided to reinstall the old springs rather than fight the longer springs.

Question. Comparing the new to old springs, are the new springs made longer/stiffer or are my old springs worn out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 11:11 am:

If its not broke, Don't fix it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 11:25 am:

Agee with Will. I did the same as you, Tyrone. Reused the old springs after comparing both. I suspect the new ones are longer and stiffer than Ford NOS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 12:49 pm:

Ty,

Yes the new springs are longer and if you try installing them out of the box you usually get to cussing...

Old springs may have somewhat softened over time, but no big deal...you let off the pedal do they return the pedal without drag on the drum? If so, good to go with the olds.

Here's a 'hack' I've learned for those long springs...put them in a vice and collapse them full and then 1/4 turn more...you take them out of the vice they are 'just right'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 01:45 pm:

I have installed the new springs right out of the package and they worked fine without any changes to them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

I could see the ease of placing new springs if you are working on a bench. I was working in-car which I see could be a real headache to install new springs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 04:14 pm:

I thought the springs that are being made now are longer than the originals for a reason.
The reason being is to give more band release from the drums.
When using Kevlar if the bands drag in the drums it causes excess heat and possible drum failure.

That use to be the selling point in the catalogs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

Like Mark, I had no problems with the new springs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 07:26 am:

John K is correct. They are listed as heavy duty and required equipment to ensure band release if you use Kevlar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

Some of those repro springs are too long. You should be able to start a nut with the spring in place, with little difficulty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 06:40 am:

What is the actual length of NOS band springs ?..... and the ft/lb value at a designated compression ?? ... I've had no problem with the "longer" springs since my size 13's easily mash pedal. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 06:41 am:

Old springs will be shorter than new, just like humans "shrink" with age...... height that is.....LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Archer Hayward, CA. on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

I don't know about the rest of you guys but a longer spring means that I can't get that last adjustment or so out of my Scandanavia's because the longer spring is compressed and won't let me go any further.

Ed aka#4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 07:34 pm:

All very well and good Ed, but..... what would be the NOS measurements of the band springs ??????? I'm sure used springs will be shorter than NOS new.
I've had no problem with the new production band springs, not the ones with the gold tone finish.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration