OT -- What is a "Baby Overland"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT -- What is a "Baby Overland"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

This is a question that has been setting in the back of my mind for many years and relatives were talking about this lately. My grandpa told stories about his first car. I don't know what year it was but he bought it used around 1930. He called it a "Baby Overland." It didn't have good brakes. He flipped it over after his engine died, while going up a very steep hill in Ozark County, Missouri, and it rolled backwards. What is a "Baby Overland?" Does anyone have a picture of one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

I when I had my 1923 Overland (Model 91), some people called it that. It was very much the Willys-Overland answer to the Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

I don't think it was any particular year or model but a nick name for the 4 cylinder ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 05:08 pm:

Sounds like about the same thing as the Austin 7 (the smallest of the Austin models in the 20s and 30s) being called the Baby Austin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 06:15 pm:

my dad had a baby overland touring and a speedster when he was a kid in the 20's my understanding is it is the the 4cyl model

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 08:00 pm:

Offhand, I do not know Overlands well enough to cite model numbers. But they built many models of four cylinder cars over the years that would not be called a "baby" overland. Many of those models were manufactured before and through the '10s and were fully mid-size and larger cars. Then, about 1920, they came out with a smaller four cylinder car that was truly in competition with the model T. It even had a similar front and rear suspension, except that the springs were also curved fore and aft to lower the car more stylishly than the T. The frame looks similar to a T frame except that the front and rear cross members are also curved to accommodate the mounting of the springs. Overall, the appearance, even the wood wheels, look very much like a model T Ford. This was the model often called a "baby" Overland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

To add to Wayne's comment, the leaf springs were like 1/2 of a Model T spring, and the curved front and rear frame cross members accepted the half springs in a forward facing "V" and an aft facing "V". With the spring to frame mounting points thus forward of the front axle and aft of the rear axle, the advertising claimed the smoother ride of a longer wheelbase car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 11:17 pm:

I have a "Baby Overland" dirt track car mid to late 20's. Narrowed frame, inverted springs and Budd wire wheels. Franklin steering , '28 Chev 4 cylinder motor and transmission mated up to the Overland read axle. All aluminum body single man sprint car.

Not exactly sure what the idea of the inverted 1/4 length springs front and rear but they do look interesting, especially for a race car. Can't wait to finish the restoration and actually drive it.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 11:32 am:

I think Overland made a small model, and a bigger model too. Chevrolet did the same thing during that period.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 02:34 pm:

Charley Shaver is the Overland expert here; I wonder why he hasn't commented on this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 07:19 pm:

The Model T counterpart offered by the Willys-Overland Co. was called a "Whippet".

Chevrolet offered several models during that era. They were Model 490 (some say it was named that because it spent 4 days on the road and 90 days in the shop) and was the competitor to the "T", the Model FB which was roughly the size of the smaller series Buick, and the Model D. The Model D offered an overhead valve, V-8 engine and was offered for a VERY short time. Also, let's not forget the "Copper Cooled" Chevrolet. The Edsel of the 1920's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 12:09 am:

The 490 was also the price it sold for.
The cooper cooled Chevy;
I still see Edsels form time to time.
Have you ever in your life seen a cooper cooled Chevy cruising around?
I did see a 1916 V8 last month.
I have never seen a copper cooled Chevy. in fact I don't think they even sold any, or they bought them all back. I forget what happened but they were a real dud.
At least the Edsel had a separate brake pedal.
The stupid Chevy used the clutch pedal for brakes too, imagine going down a steep hill and having the clutch disengage when you push on the brake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 12:10 am:

charley has been in hiding for 11 days but he is back now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i have no interest in the used late mod cars, not worth my time. charley

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration