How to install a boot cover for a 1913 runabout

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How to install a boot cover for a 1913 runabout
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Jackson on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 07:20 pm:

How do you install the boot cover for a1913 Runabout ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 07:28 pm:

Well if it's anything like the boot cover like I have for my '20 Runabout and my '13 Touring, it'll fit like an ants ass over a rain barrel! So tight they're splitting at the seams along the sides. Either gotta get 'em enlarged along that side or get a new larger one. Not high on the list though. Back to your question, other than the tight fit, if yours has that lacing like my Runabouts does, it goes on the bottom. Then there may or may not be a "flap" on each side that have grommets that are SUPPOSED to be able to fit over those twisty type latch things. Can't remember the proper name for 'em. But the flaps don't reach. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 12:05 am:

If you want photos, I can post some. The thing to do is make the top boot correctly in the first place. So many of them are not correct, but then we have a lot of members that don't seen to care.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 07:22 am:

Post some pictures Larry, I'd like to see how to make one. Although I'll probably make mine out of canvas...it's easier to hand sew. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 09:31 am:

Do roadsters and tourings use different top boots because the touring has one extra bow? If the boot is "one size fits both" is it then loose on the roadster and "just right" on a touring?

If the top pads are over stuffed will that make the boot impossible to slide on?
Can something as simple as incorrectly folding the top deck material, when lowering the top, create great difficulty when trying to slide on the boot?

I will eventually be wanting to have a top boot for my '14 touring and I would like to know the correct details. I will make it if need be, but do need to know what's what.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 11:13 am:

Bill: Yes the roadsters and tourings do use different boots, but they are made the exact same way. The pads have nothing to do with it since the top sockets have cups to lay in while down. I've made several boots, and I make them the same way Ford did. They fit snugly but are not difficult to put on. They loosened them up in 1916 when they came out with the new style boot. Martin, drop by sometime and I'll show you how a boot is made.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration