Magnet Charger

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Magnet Charger
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

Who has got one of these?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 09:33 pm:

YIPES! "That think would pull the fillings out of your teeth."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

I have a similar one.
With the power supply we use we measured each pole produces approximately 11,000 Ampere turns of magnetizing power.
And yes you DO NOT wear your watch near it..
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Holmes on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 10:35 pm:

Ron,

What voltage do you operate it at?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 10:32 am:

And,,,,, mind the glare from the floor!!!! :-) jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 10:58 am:

Jamie
A magnet re-charger uses current to recharge magnets not voltage.
In my set up there is 40 amps of current flowing in each winding.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 11:41 am:

Ron, as you mentioned in your post with the picture, ampere turns. Ampere turns produces magnetic flux. This magnetic flux is what magnetizes the magnet.

11,000 ampere turns is a LOT of flux. I made a magnet charger that produces less than 1000 ampere turns. It will charge most magnets, but fails on others. I always check for cracks prior to attempting a magnetization. To be sure that the magnet can be recharged. Just wondering if you really need 11K ampere turns to charge every usable magnet? Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 05:33 pm:

I borrowed this "monster" of a T-buddy when I did my magnets:

I used a battery charger to deliver 24V and I have no idea of how many ampere. But it worked!

I had a compas lying around on my working desk in the shop and it went bezerk when I switched to connection.
Not wise to keep magnetic tapes or discettes in the vincinities :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

How can I test for amps in my charger that I built last winter? It seemed to charge the magnets just fine. Jim

chargercharger 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Holmes on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

Ron,

I understand the difference between current and voltage, I was simply wondering what the potential was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

About 14 volts DC

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 12:49 pm:

James, how much wire did you use for your charger?

Is there a 2 inch core inside?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Holmes on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

Ron,

Thank you. 11,000 amp/turns is a whole bunch of flux. Very impressive. My uncle and I built a similar unit back in the late 70's for recharging the magnets in slot car motors after they had been epoxied inside the motor case.
We fired it off of 20 capacitors wired in parallel with a float voltage of around 100 volts.

Wiped out television reception for a good portion of the neighborhood. He had to check the TV guide before using it so he wouldn't have angry neighbors at his door after he white screened their tv's during Charlie's Angels or the 6 Million Dollar man.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration