OT I'm curious about what it is.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT I'm curious about what it is.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

It's actually a week or two before my time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 09:30 pm:

Just a guess, but I'd say it's junk. Or it's a 1930 Dodge truck...which to me makes it still junk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

If you find something like this out in the wild, can a person just lay claim to it or would you have to track down a potentially non exsistant property owner?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. :-)
I guess I gotta agree though. It looks like junk to me. I can't verify the year or make but, I assure you, it's junk!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

I can't answer your question William. I'm not sure but I think this might be on public property. Or maybe I shouldn't call it public. I think it might be park property.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

At Joshua Tree National Park in New Mexico.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

I don't see any junk, looks like a great project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 11:22 pm:

The mystery truck is most likely a 1928-29 GMC or Pontiac T-18 (identical but for the logos).

I spotted this beauty and another one nearby in Joshua Tree National Park in February 2014. Photos and a query posted on the AACA General Forum identified them both in this thread:

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/231715-what-are-these-two-pre-war-california-desert -find-vehicles/?hl=joshua

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 11:42 pm:

Junk is the plastic, computerized crap they sell today. Set it out in the
desert for 70+ years and see what's salvageable !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 11:49 pm:

My big worry would be getting caught by BLM trying to remove it from the Park. They are more interested in letting it rust away vice allowing someone to bring it back to life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 01:19 am:

I'm personally fine with them being left there as is -- they're artifacts from the mining days and belong right where they were originally used... many many more people will see and appreciate them there than if someone hauled them out and hid them in a collection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 07:45 am:

Land for public parks is bought with public tax money, you pay your taxes therefore you paid for the park...so the truck is on your property!

(do you think the judge will agree with this reasoning?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 08:30 am:

Ha ha..I doubt it Dennis! Good thought though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 09:07 am:

Joshua Tree is in California, not New Mexico.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 10:59 am:

I'm surprised that truck is still there. There are guys who would sure like to have it. At the very least the transmission and rearend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

John -- ditto for the nearby car pictured at the link above, which is a 1930ish Lincoln V8.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

Okay, who was the moron that put Joshua Tree National Park in New Mexico. Obviously some geographically challenged goof that's never been out of his back yard! Geez, somebody get a rope!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mahlon hawker on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 10:06 pm:

Now Michael, don't be too hard on that moron! He meant well.

Tony

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

I find myself torn on the subject of "just leaving them there", as too many people see
no issue with vandalizing them or carting off parts or whole to "clean the place up".

Not far from my house is a steep cliff that drops many hundreds of feet to Hangman Creek.
Back before the city pushed back up into this area, it was apparently a favored place to rid
oneself of old cars and other similar detritus. Just tip it over the edge and it was gone, not
to be noticed for 75 years.

In the past 10 years or so, the area has been deemed a "wilderness" park, and people hike
the trails down over the edge as an easy way to "get away" without really leaving town.

And what do these hikers think of all the cool old car bodies and rusting metal objects down
there in the woods ? Well, it seems they feel strongly enough about this "junk" down at the
bottom of the cliff to motivate them to make a considerable effort to haul it all out and pile it
at the trail heads, where it is subsequently hauled off by "volunteers" to the scrapper !

Now, just you watch .... in about 15 years, a few people are going to think back on all the
cool old junk that was once scattered about the woods down there and yet another case of
shortsighted do-gooding will prove to be the destruction of what will later be seen as something
that should have been preserved as part of the historic fabric of our area.

I face this dilemma every time I drag something cool home. It is the reason I love this old
junk ..... it was everywhere when I was a kid ! But endless pushes to "clean the world up"
has resulted in old rusty Model T era sightings being as rare as hen's teeth, and the "good
idea" replacement is vinyl siding and '86 Aerostar minivans littering backyards and alleys.
So, I grab it up while I can, because more often than not, some meathead will just cart it off
as trash or scrap ! I wish people would just leave things be, but they can't seem to help
themselves in destroying history.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 12:22 pm:

Surprised they don't have HazMat out there in their space suits removing it to ensure it doesn't leak oil into the ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 02:00 pm:

Chevrolet

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration