Head gasket for a Z head

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Head gasket for a Z head
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 09:13 pm:

I installed a new Z head last August using a new "regular" composition head gasket I had in stock. Everything worked fine, but I just returned from Hershey with all the parts to replace my valves and lifters and discovered that the new gasket I bought "will not work with a Z head". The advertisement by the supplier of the Z head states that a "regular" T head gasket will work. What gasket do you guys use under your Z heads? Thanks : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

I used a regular copper gasket from Lang's generously coated with KopperKote prior to installation. No problem or leaks many miles and two years later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

Copper gasket with CopperCoat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

Ditto

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

Ditto. I had a composition gasket on with my "Z" head, and it failed in the narrowest gap between the cylinders on # 3 & 4, and that same gap on 1 & 2 was starting to go. When I replaced the gasket, I had the head resurfaced and told them to take off just enough to make it flat, and they took off .005 (five thousandths). It runs great now.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 10:19 pm:

Thanks guys : I have a new copper gasket, but it's identical to all the others in shape, including the one that they warn you "will not work". They seem to be concerned that the "fire ring" is exposed in the combustion chamber as the gasket does not follow the contour of the Z head. I guess I'll try the copper one tomorrow with some copper coat. Thanks again : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 12:17 am:

Copper asbestos with generous amount of copper coat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 12:28 am:

I recently fitted a copper after having 20 thou shaved off my z head and it knocked. After some grinding and still some clearance issues I used 2 steel gaskets together with all faces sprayed with copper spray. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts, so far so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 02:04 am:

Bruce

All Aluminum Heads, no matter what brand of head, should use a copper gasket. And a very liberal amount of copper spray on both sides of the copper gasket. As Keith G. stated above, his results, with the composition or other gaskets, will usually result. Also, the torque for the head bolts should be about 45 to 50 Foot Pounds each. Good luck. Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 07:46 am:

Also don't forget you have to re-torque it COLD! Not hot like a cast head. I re-torqued mine four times: twice after successive runs, once after 4 weeks, and once after 6 weeks. Two years later and many miles...no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 08:20 am:

I would never ever use one of those high priced composition gaskets. The slightest difference in torque will make it leak if it does not on its own accord. Besides, you can use the copper gasket over in a pinch and not have to clean up the mess that a composition gasket leaves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 12:47 am:

I use the copper gaskets dry. It's been that way several years now...no leaks...Z heads...2 cars...280 cams...A crank in one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 01:02 pm:

I'm with Hal. Stock head, Z head, 4 Valve Rajo or Fronty I put them all on dry. Never had a problem with them. Oh wait, back in the 60's I blew a gasket between 2 cylinders on a 292 in my '57 Ford. I'm sure Copper Coat is good stuff, just ever felt the need for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 11:18 pm:

Maybe a little grease on both sides or if you must, grease on the block side and copper coat on the head side.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration