More timing questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: More timing questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

I would like to thank ya’ll for the advice to get the T running again. I put on a new retard rod a few years ago and it needs to be adjusted. Should the distributor retard go clockwise or counter clockwise?
Sorry for the silly question, but I have learned more about the ignition system than I have on any other car.
The T is running and I even got it up to Temp for the first time in years. We have not driven it just yet.
The next issue is that fuel is spraying out of the carburetor. I am thinking that I might have a stuck or bent intake valve.
Did I really mess things up?
My guess is to pull all the plugs and start turning the crank while looking at the intake valve. Hope and pray that they all move up and down. Some time it seems like one step forward and two steps backwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

Raising the spark lever to retard the spark turns the time counter clockwise.

Too much fuel could be due to a leaking float valve in the carburetor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

What Steve says is true from facing toward the rear of the car. If you are sitting in the seat, it would be clockwise :-)

Very easy to figure out is to watch which way the timer turns when you move the rod up. Pushing the rod up retards the spark and pulling it down advances the spark. So you want to adjust the rod to the place where the spark comes just after the point where the piston starts to go down after passing top dead center.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

If you turn the distributor in the same direction as the rotation of the rotor then you are retarding the spark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 10:45 pm:

If this car has been setting for many years without being run, the float valve in the carburetor might be sticking open. If you have not yet taken off the carburetor and cleaned it, I would suggest that you do it now. Then adjust the float level according to instructions for your particular carburetor.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 09:45 am:

Sorry for the confusion.
I had it beaten into my head is the orientation is as if your sitting behind the steering wheel.
I just purchased the correct carb for the car. I will go through it and make sure it is all adjusted.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration