Starter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Starter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike dixon on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 07:28 am:

what thread do i need to read to repair my starter.? on my speedster, the starter only whirls now. any ideas? thanks and its 6 volts, not 12

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 07:36 am:

Check the key in the bendix as well as the springs and screws. The key may have slipped out of the slot

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 09:34 am:

Probably more than one, Mike.

You can start here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/170293.html?1290821629

And for more help, put

Starter repair MTFCA

in your Google search window, depress the proper button, and read the resulting "hits" until you get the answers that work for you.

Good Luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 09:49 am:

Mike start your starter repair by taking the cover off and looking at it.

If nothing is apparent remove the bendix.
Start by removing the bolt that goes thru the spring nearest the back of the car.
It has an extension that goes into the shaft.
Next remove the first part of the assembly watching out for the little key that is the same distance from the end as the bolt but 90 degrees from it.
Remove the key - then remove the remainder of the assembly. Sometimes you don't have to remove the key but I think it is best to capture it as soon as possible.

Replace broken parts, make sure to use new locking washers on the spring bolts, replace the spring if it has twisted and check the little spring on the sliding gear.

I don't know if my recent problem is common but you should read the thread about my starter problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 03:14 am:

Fred, I don't know how to do it, but maybe you can post a link to that thread. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 07:01 am:

Link to the other thread:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/579875.html?1445324956

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration