Rear Axle Rebuild

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rear Axle Rebuild
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Dingler, Crowley Texas on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

I have searched this forum and manuals and read everything I could about the rebuild of real axle and the use of Hyatt bearings. I know this subject has been discussed a lot on this forum and sorry if I'm revisiting but, I need some advice on the use of the bearings from my rear axle. It still contained the Babbitt Thrust Washers and they were still in one piece. The rebuild will consist of new Axles, Sleeves, Ring and Pinion, Drive Shaft, U-Joint, Thrust Washers, FunProjects Pinion Bearing and Modern Seals.
The Inners and the Right Outer Hyatt bearings show less than .003 wear the Left Outer measures .006-.007 wear.
My question concerns the wear on the outside of all the bearings, is this a problem (see pictures)? Also not sure I understand the term "Loose cages". If these bearings are not good to use where can I source used bearings?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

Donnie,
The framework that holds the rollers together is the "cage". Hold one end of the bearing cage in your left hand, and the other cage end in your right. Now lightly "twist" back and forth. The cage should be firm and tight. If it rocks back and forth as you twist, then the ends need to be peened with a center punch to tighten it all up.

The wear you see on the end of the bearing won't hurt anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 01:01 pm:

Not sure what "wear on the outside of the bearings" means. If you mean the appearance of the end plates having been belt sanded, they were made that way from new.

If you can grab each end plate and twist the cage they are considered "loose". A little bit is okay, but some are really bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 01:02 pm:

I agree with James!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 09:34 pm:

I've found all my decent used bearings at swap meets and auctions. It's a good idea to take along a micrometer and check the wear before you buy. Most of the parts dealers carry used parts that aren't listed in their catalogues, so I'd check with them too. You might get lucky.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration