Difference in rings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Difference in rings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Ensinger on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 01:20 pm:

My 26 lived most of her life in Long Island and the second owner "Sal" said she had no problems with the flat lands. She does like hills. Sal believes there is a different set of bands for hill driving. Any suggestions...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 06:08 pm:

Chuck -- Rings are in the engine, on the pistons. Bands are in the transmission. What is your question?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

There is no set of bands for hills and another set for the flat lands. Bands are just bands. Materials are Kevlar, or Wood or Cotton. Modern cotton bands are not too good. Original NOS cotton bands perform well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 09:09 pm:

I have to agree with Mike,....it's difficult to understand what you are saying and asking,......assuming you're talking about transmission band linings, there are basically three materials that they are made of. One is cotton, which the old original "Scandinavia" linings were, a second is Kevlar, and a third is wood, and more specifically, I believe cottonwood. They each have their own characteristics as far as wear (how long they'll last) and each has it's own particular "feel" as far as different friction characteristics, and whether or not they'll "chatter", etc. I'm guessing that when the second owner spoke of his preference for certain band lining material for hills, he was suggesting that one band lining material would work better and last longer in hilly country where you would naturally be harder on bands due to more slipping when starting out on hills and slipping the bands more often than would be necessary on "flat land" driving. By researching this forum using "keywords" you'll find a lot of discussion regarding transmission band lining material, and in my opinion, an awful lot of that is just personal opinion as each type has advantages and disadvantages. A lot depends on whether your driving habits are hard on bands or easy on bands. For what it's worth,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

Ted - Well stated! Where were you when I started my "dissertation"? Ha, ha,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

Chuck - One other thing I meant to mention,......I looked at your excellent profile photo of your '26, and I have to say, it's sure a beauty! I like all Model T's, but some, especially the slightly larger appearing Fordor's like yours, have a certain "elegant" look about them (especially black ones) and yours certainly has it! What a beauty,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Ensinger on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 10:31 am:

Thanks to all for the inputs. All I had to go on is what the previous owner mention. I'll ask him again when I talk to him. Thanks Harold, the wife and I love ole Betsy... I'm learning to drive her each day. The hills are a challenge. First parade is Nov 7th "Veterans Day"...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Ensinger on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 10:33 am:

I see where I confused folks.. I meant to write, "She does not like hills".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 11:38 am:

Yes, that sure is a pretty sedan.

All those wiggly roads in the satellite view tell me that you definitely have plenty of hills. If any of them are as steep as some I've seen in PA, you want to go down slowly with the low pedal mashed down firmly. Engine braking can give your brake band a rest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 02:15 pm:

Since you have a 26 year T, cotton band linings should last a good while. I've owned a 26 heavy wood bodied truck with the wide brake band like yours and I've never had to change the linings since the engine was done years ago. Same with low and reverse. They are all cotton Scandanavia.
On the other hand, I only get about 1000 miles on the narrow brake band lining on my 1910 Model T. I once burned out the lining on a steep downhill. I read about that once in a period narrative and can attest it can happen! I have to use cotton there because the drum is turned down so much, I am afraid the heat of Kevlar would crack it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

Since you have a 26 year T, cotton band linings should last a good while. I've owned a 26 heavy wood bodied truck with the wide brake band like yours and I've never had to change the linings since the engine was done years ago. Same with low and reverse. They are all cotton Scandanavia.
On the other hand, I only get about 1000 miles on the narrow brake band lining on my 1910 Model T. I once burned out the lining on a steep downhill. I read about that once in a period narrative and can attest it can happen! I have to use cotton there because the drum is turned down so much, I am afraid the heat of Kevlar would crack it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Ensinger on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 03:08 pm:

Richard, where do you recommend I get the cotton Scandinavian band liners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 03:45 pm:

Any of the parts dealers will have them. Birdhaven, Bob's, Chaffin's, Lang's, Smith & Jones, Snyder's, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 08:41 pm:

Get some original NOS linings. Advertise in the classified and check EBay. The repros sold today in my view are not near the durability of the original cotton bands made by the Scandanavia Belting Company, Ford, Montgomery Ward and others.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration