Lau Garage Sale Update

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Lau Garage Sale Update
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Charvet on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 03:30 pm:

The big sale is coming up this weekend in Portland, Oregon. (October 24-25).
We have added many, many photos to our Facebook page (and will be adding more daily, through the weekend.

Look here: https://www.facebook.com/LauGarageSale

We will also have a post-sale update next week.
Hope to see you there!

Thanks for looking -
David Charvet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 04:32 pm:

David, would you mind sharing with us how you happen to know Model T Ford cars, and how you got involved with this sale?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

Could you please post this where some of us geezers can see it?
Facebook ain't one of them places!
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 04:56 pm:

Here's a public link >>> http://www.laugaragesale.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 05:36 pm:

So, David. .....will you ever sell these Model T parts to those of us who can't make it to Oregon? ...like using pictures on the Internet and telephone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Charvet on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 06:29 pm:

Larry - Go to my site: www.CharvetClassicCars.com for a dossier of some of what I do and have done. Been around pre-war cars of all types since I've been a kid. The Lau family contacted me as I have handled sales for some of their friends in the past.

Bob - You should be able to access the Facebook page. Just scroll down and you'll see the photos. We update the FB page daily with new photos.

George - The only practical way to do these sales is on-site, so people can see what they are buying. Especially important with old parts. One person's interpretation of "mint" condition may be different than another's. Also, with about 15,000 items to sell, it's impossible to list everything online in a timely fashion. Thanks for understanding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson - Kingwood, Texas on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 10:00 pm:

If you go to the website, you can read the terms of sale. It is interesting what they say (or rather warn) regarding parking. It seems like it is going to be a real mess trying to access the shop site on the day of the sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

You can't access Facebook if you don't have an account, as you have to sign in. A lot of "old geezers", barely can operate a computer, much less be registered to Facebook. There is not law that everyone has to have a Facebook account, and when the computer literate generation assumes that everyone can, and does do it, they are just thinking of themselves and don't give a 'hoot' about the older generation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 11:27 pm:

David,

Could you just bring all the stuff to me, so I could look it over ?

That would be terrific if you could just go ahead and do that.

Thanks ... ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 11:38 pm:

Facebook has become an "old geezers" site as the younger viewers have migrated to other sites to get away from us "old geezers"! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 11:45 pm:

Terry:

You don't need a Facebook account to access someone else's Facebook page if they set their privacy settings to allow public viewing.

I don't have a Facebook account and I was able to see the photos.

Click on the link below:

https://www.facebook.com/LauGarageSale

Click on this link to go directly to the photos:

https://www.facebook.com/LauGarageSale/photos_stream?ref=page_internal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 11:50 pm:

Curmudgeonly gripes from the geriatric section notwithstanding, it's easy to set up a Facebook account. All you have to do is supply a user name, an email address, and a password. Just as you did here. It's no big deal, even for a geezer. OK, I'll get off your lawn now. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 11:58 pm:

Erik, I stand corrected about Facebook even though I am a member. My Facebook account has been hacked once but I fixed it. My two year older sister account has been hacked and she just decided she could do without it, even though all she needed to do was change her password.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 12:01 am:

If any member is going (its too far for me) there's one thing that I would probably pay the going rate for, if anyone wants to help me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 01:29 am:

And if you happen to only have access to the internet via Dial-Up, Facebook is not dial-up compatible.
:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 02:03 am:

David.......even with 15 meg fiber internet it's not compatible a lot of times.
Facebook is one of THE largest resource hogs on the net.......I can think of only two sites that are worse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 03:02 am:

I tried Facebook once, cancelled it about two weeks later. Makes no sense to me. I don't care what "Fred" is going to do tonight, or what "Mary" did today. Guess I don't need the world to know what I'm doing. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 07:00 pm:

David...My sentiments EXACTLY!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 07:20 pm:

The only way u will know what "fred" and "mary" do is to accept them as friends,dont accept them if u don't care about them, pretty simple. the world already knows what your doing being on this forum, they only know what u tell them. there are so many model T groups on facebook, that are pretty neat, groups for buying and selling T parts or groups for anything else u want to buy and sell. Its a great way to show and tell your cars and see cars and tours from all over the world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

This whole thing seems "funny" to me. With (you say) 15,000 items to sell,and only about two dozen photos?? No prices? If I spent the time and money to fly there,and managed to get to sale,I'd be really PO'd if the stuff is so overpriced,you couldn't buy it. JMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Bolz on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

What are you guys talking about. Click the link
at the top and just keep scrolling down. There
are hundreds of photos. I went to Hershey and
did not see this much Ford stuff and certainly
not in this condition. It is a garage sale and
with 15000 items I am sure most are priced to sell.
The idea of a garage sale is to get rid of "stuff"
not put it on display like Hershey. It won't be
funny on the 26th. when the Forum lights up with
peoples found treasure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

I like the format that is being used for this sale. At least we don't have to waste a day or two listening to an auctioneer's incessant babble. This is a serious collection of great early Ford items and rare collectibles, not a junkyard or a cow pasture full of rusted metal. I think Charvet has done a great job of handling this collection. I also applaud his efforts to communicate with the Model T community via this forum. Personally, I'm super excited about attending this event. It is unlikely a collection like this will become available for many years.

Gentleman, start your engines!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 09:09 pm:

Ah, the benefits of living nearby !

Dave in New Hampshire, USA
(too distant for me.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 09:13 pm:

There is only ONE way to get top dollar out of anything in the real world and that is a properly organized, widely advertised, honestly sold auction. Everyone has a fair chance and an equal opportunity to buy. Everyone gets in the door, gets to bid on what they want and if they are the high bidder, take it home. Sothebys, Christies, Bonhams, RM Auction, Auction America, Front Range Auctioneers and a thousand other well run auction companies have been proving this for as many as 300 years. Every world record price is set at an auction. Any other method of pricing is just some one's opinion.

I sold a painting at auction last Thursday night for $6500 that was bought for $15 at an estate sale two years ago. Every interested party had a fair chance to bid on it and the Montana Historical Society stepped up and bought it, out bidding two banks and several private collectors.

Front Range Auctioneers, since 1982, 410 successful auctions, many world record prices set in rural Montana. Ask any seller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 09:15 pm:

Don't believe me? www.ralphdecampartist.com Also see the stories in the state Capital newspaper and the TV coverage of the auction and the story of the painting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

I'll second what Stan said. I was on the selling end of a fantastic 40 year collection. You name it and it was there. I was fortunate enough to find a good auctioneer and it took 10 well organized auctions to get through it all. In the end, the buyers set the value of each item. I agree that there is some fantastic stuff at the Lau estate from what is shown which gives more of a reason to auction it. With a collection that good, it seems an injustice to the family to think that values can be set on each item that will get them top dollar but they are the ultimate decision makers. This isn't a matter of fair pricing, it is a matter of who will pay absolutely the most for each item. As fluffy and nice as it sounds to say that everyone will get great deals and there is tons to go around, a garage sale isn't the way to liquidate a once in a lifetime collection like this, in my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

I don't think I have ever been to an auction where everything has brought top dollar. A recent example includes the RM Auction at Hershey this year. There were some great deals there-especially most of the early cars from the Richard Roy collection. I would say half the cars were purchased by dealers and are now being re-offered for sale. I spoke with one dealer who purchased 10 vehicles alone. One car in particular caught my eye but I told myself i wasn't a buyer unless it sold cheap. It did and it is on its way to my garage, even though I had no intention of being a buyer.There were more car bargains at the auction then there were at the Hershey Swap Meet or the Car Corral.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Just a dumb question,but was the dealer who bought 10 cars the high bidder??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

I think i smell something!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

In a collection like this, one or two or ten of the best items sold at auction will make up for those that didn't bring top dollar. At a garage sale, the items that are priced too high don't sell, the items that are priced too low sell immediately and the less desirable items languish looking for a buyer.

If you have never been to an auction where everything brought top dollar you need to be on my mailing list. This is rural Montana. We have brought buyers here ranging from the Gene Autry Museum to coin-op collectors from German and England, etc. At an auction in eastern Montana 250 miles from the nearest commercial airport we had buyers from 12 states.

Some years back we sold the largest and finest collection of Victorian Art Glass Brides Baskets at world record prices to buyers from about 20 states -- before the Internet and web sites. We sold the Tom Kolar collection of oil and gas signs in Havre, Montana and got buyers from Indiana to California. Were there some deals? Of course. Did we set some world record prices? Yes.

You can sell your stuff however you want and go to a tag sale and fight with other buyers to get what you want but as for me, I will drive 1,000 miles to a good auction before I will drive 100 to a garage sale to find that I couldn't get in or that what I wanted was already sold.

Also, at my auctions and most others, there is no private sale the day or night before and no back door for the preferred customers to get in. There are no deals for anybody -- you want it, you keep bidding until everybody else quits.

Everybody has their own opinion as to what is best, this is mine, it is (or was) a free country and you can do and think whatever you want about whatever you want. This is what I think.

I have been to thousands of auctions, teach at one of the oldest auction schools in the US and have presented seminars at the National Auctioneers Association as well as having won several awards from the NAA for excellence in auction advertising and presentation. I have also written extensively for auction magazines. I've been at this since 1982, 410 auctions and counting. I'm a believer. Stan Howe www.frontrangeauctions.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

I prefer auctions for some of the reasons Stan stated. Many times other folks want an item more than I do, and if they outbid me that's fine. Even at well advertised auctions that draw buyers from far away, the high rollers usually let a few crumbs fall off the table for us peons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

Logged into Facebook and saw the pictures, but no prices. Were can you see the prices on each item?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 01:14 am:

I wonder what kind of price they have on that set of Pasco wheels? I have a pristine set of 5 with hubs that I turned down $6000 for several years ago. These look better but it's hard to tell from the photos. They might be new old stock.

Looks like lots of carbs, too. One picture shows a dozen or so, one might be a nos OF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 05:55 am:

I doubt all this talk about auctions is going to change their mind at this point. I think we've already been through all of this.

I would't make the drive from the east coast even if they were giving it away. But I sure can appreciate the collection from the pictures they've posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 06:37 am:

I just don't get it, if it's just a sale with the prices on the items, why not put them on a web site and sell it that way? you've already established the price, why make everyone travel to the middle of nowhere? I'm in agreement that this is a bad move, this could be a Mob scene with a lot of pushing and shoving to get the items everyone may want. I'll just wait for the stuff to hit ebay and try and buy it sitting in the comfort of my own home.Just my 2 cents worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 06:57 am:

Its going to be a bit tight on parking and trying to keep your buys from developing legs in my opinion. Its two hours away so I will enjoy the pictures and stories!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 08:18 am:

If you are going, please take some video or pictures for the forum to see. It may be the best sale ever, or it will get the same reaction of the perpetually overpriced tables seen at the major swaps year after year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 09:55 am:

It is obvious that the seller also believes an auction is the best way to get top dollar. They took what was most likely the most valuable item of the entire collection and sold it at auction - albeit an online auction called ebay. Car #220. Available to every well heeled collector in the world.

Nobody is expecting anybody to change anything at this point and I would like to be there as I'm sure there will be some great deals, at least eventually.

I'm off to work. You boys can all head for Portland. Get up at 3 AM and go stand in line so you are the first ones in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Charvet on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 11:26 am:

Thanks for all of the comments and armchair quarterbacking. It's been fun to read.

Just to clarify, the Lau family approached us to do the sale in this fashion because of our reputation in the Northwest selling auto estates of this type, and they wanted it done quickly.

As strange as it may seem to some of you, their main concern is not to squeeze every dollar from every item. It is to get these parts (many of which are now becoming scarce - particularly the early ones) into the hands of the "T" community who can USE them and keep these cars on the road, as Dave and Fred Lau did. The prices will be fair. And, of course on Sunday, everything left that was priced from $1-$99 will be 50% off, and everything over $100+ will be 25% off. The goal is to clear it to the walls. And we have already had offers from several who want to buy all that remains after the weekend.

As to "What is there?" "I can't access Facebook!" or "I want a catalog" the best I can do for you is suggest you open up your 1916 (or other year) Ford Model T parts list and pick any item: I can almost guarantee you will find it at the sale - and in multiple quantities.

I am not one to exaggerate or over-promise since I realize many are coming from across the country for this event. Remember, I'm a "car guy" and know what it feels like to go to a swap meet and find "slim pickins'" when a bounty was promised. Believe me, that is not the case with this sale. The Laus were have a tremendous collection that grew over 60 years because of their love of "T's". It was a working assemblage of parts, more than an intentional "collection" because everything they had was intended to end-up on a car someday. Unfortunately, those "somedays" ran out and now all of you will benefit from it.

Bottom line, those who choose to come will have a good time and hopefully find some things they can use. Those who choose to stay home will miss it. It's that simple.

For those coming, I look forward to meeting you this weekend.
Thanks -
- David Charvet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 12:17 pm:

Over the years i have been to many and all kinds of auction sales.I have also attended a few estate sales mostly in larger towns.Myself being a arm chair quater back i would have tried to tie the sale to a event say Chickewsaw,get one of the large buildings,and have a well advertised auction with at least 2 or 3 rings and put or try to give all the info asked for on this site and others! Most of what little i do know is hindsight but we will see. Good luck to all!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration