Follow The FORD Car signs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Follow The FORD Car signs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

I was looking at the Lau Garage Sale Facebook page and saw one of those Follow the FORD Car TO signs. I have wondered what was the story on them. Never have heard anyone say with certainty what they were about. Anyone know? here is a picture.

Input??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 09:09 pm:

Dealer/repair shop location signs? !920's GPS alternative? Follow the Ford's to...("my shop").

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Brand on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 10:41 pm:

Hi Dan. I have seen a photo of one in an early Ford Times. I think it was a 1910 edition.

Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

John: The sign would give miles to a town. Not to a dealer or garage. They would say

"FOLLOW THE FORD MOTOR CARS TO (name of town & state) XXXX Miles"

They were painted steel signs, about 12 X 24 inches. They were embossed one way for the follow part and the other for the city and state. I have only seen about 7 in 30 years. I have talked to a couple other people that had one in that time.
Anyone know any more about them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

Andrew: Someone else said once they had seen one in a Ford Times, but I looked at the year he said and never found it. I think he said 1915, but I have not seen it. 1910 would sound more like it, by the way the Ford is written. Does anyone have the early Ford Times to see? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Brand on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 05:17 am:

Dan - I found my note about it: Photo of similar sign in Ford Times Vol 4 No 2 1910. I'll try to find the photo in the next day or two and will post here unless someone beats me to it. Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Brand on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 07:36 am:

Dan - here is the photo. Looks like the same sign with the bottom cut off.

Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 08:42 am:

Andrew: That is the sign, good use for one. :-) Since that is a 1910 Ford Times that means signs are at least that old. I always thought they were early or pre T. I need to look for one of those T Times. Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 12:19 am:

Dan, I have one of these, I bought it from the same guy Fred Lau bought his from. I think mine is from Montana

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration