I just removed the visor from my coupe today and after I got the old covering (installed sometime in the early sixties)off, I noticed something. When I took the visor off, the only thing holding it to the car were the four screws(two on each side)that attach the diagonal support to the front of the car(A pillars?). After I got the cover off, I noticed there are six holes in the part of the visor frame that would be up underneath the wood header piece. Should there be screws that would attach the rear part of the visor to that header? The holes are pretty much the same size as the holes in the diagonal support. The original wood is too far gone to tell much, but there does seem to be the remnants of one hole that pretty much lines up with one of the holes in the visor frame. It makes sense to me that it would be attached there. Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance. Dave
John Page made a nice documentation of his visor restoration for a 1924 Fordor in one thread:
Thanks Roger, that is what I was looking for. Can you post a link to that thread? It is a bit small, but I think it shows the screws that I was concerned about. Again, many thanks. Dave
Here's that thread, but there are many more if you google search "Sun visor" mtfca
Yes, the holes at the rear of the visor are to attach it to the bottom side of the header. I used slotted oval head screws with cup washers in nickel plate on the 24. KGB
Thanks Keith. That's a good idea on the washers. Dave
Another question. Yesterday I started dismantling the visor for sandblasting and new a covering. The diagonal braces that hold it out from the car were attached to the visor with four 10-32(fine thread) round head machine screws and hex nuts. That just didn't look right to me. The visor had been recovered sometime in the early sixties. Are these screws correct, or was something else used? Thanks in advance. Dave
Thanks George. After looking closer at the pictures Roger posted, I can see how that was done. I didn't under stand what rivets John was talking about. Had to use a magnifying glass to see what was going on. On mine, they removed the braces, installed the cover, then bolted the braces back on outside of the cover. I'm not sure how the repro cover is made, may have to do something similar to what was done before. Thanks for your help. This coupe is mostly original, but what was worked on before wasn't done anywhere near how it was built. Of course, they didn't have near the info that we have now. Thanks again to everyone. Dave
Here is a picture of the underside of my Canadian Fordor's visor.
I mention this because it has the Robertson screws, as apposed to the USA produced cars using slot head screws,
Note the cup washers. They are as they came from the factory.
The rivets I used were copper. I incorrectly thought that the top side of the rivets were concealed with the cover.
I have also attached a link that has some very good advise from Dave Sosnoski.
You will notice that the rivets on the original visor he pictures has the outer rivet heads showing on the cover material. Obviously the brackets were attached after the cover had been sewn in place.
Hope this helps David.
Best regards, John Page , Australia.
John, thanks for your help. Those pictures and the link are very helpful. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the stitching done and what size rivets I need. My visor mounting was totally messed up. Many thanks. Dave
A drawing that I made up to make a new frame, and another drawing I made up for the diagonal braces shows the holes to be 3/16" for the rivets. I got the size from an original frame.
Now, I know a 3/16" hand drill will actually drill a hole that is 0.200- 0.206 on a just because basis...and I don't recall if I intended on using a 3/16" rivet, but that would have been a reasonable 'Georgeism' when I made up the sketches. i.e. size to size, knowing the hole grew.
I like John picture above, but I think there is also some illusion to it. It appears there is a saddle washer beneath the rivet head...and maybe there was, but my guess is the rivet tool may have just mushroomed a base...
Here is a horrible picture, but the best I can do from climbing over, under, and through the '19 Hack, putting one foot on the '15 wheel twisting upside down while balancing and hoping the cell caught what I remembered on the '25 Fordor.
(No problem, we just had a new Jacuzzi installed to loosen those muscle cramps that come from trying this...and I look for excuses... )
George, you are correct I did use a saddle washers.
The rivets I used were the closest I could find to match what was on the remains of the original visor cover.
The copper rivets are still available here in Australia, and are available from saddlery suppliers.
Best regards, John Page, Australia.
Original unrestored visor ( Photo 1978 )
The rivets I used ( no washers remaining ) must have used them on some other project.
Picture from the Vendors web site. Same vendor I used 30 years ago. J. P.