#220 is Home

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: #220 is Home
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 01:15 pm:

If cars can have thoughts, and Model Ts seem to, imagine what this one is thinking at returning to its point of origin after 107 years. For right now, she's parked next to Henry Ford's office in the Piquette Plant.

Here I am, shaking hands with the new owner, congratulating them and welcoming the car to Piquette.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 01:20 pm:

I cant see the person you are shaking hands with?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

Ed -- That person wishes to remain anonymous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 01:29 pm:

Ed,

Yup, it's like Mike says. I think a better way to say it is that they wish to remain unrecognized.

I'll say however, that they are long time Ford history folks and this is their first Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 02:14 pm:

Why would someone want to be anonymous buying a Model T, though a rare one? It's not like they have bought spent nuclear fissionable materials and Homeland Security is looking for them! I don't get it.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

Very cool! Looks like a good excuse to wander down there for some volunteer time. ;)

jk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Farquhar on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

Many times people wish to remain anonymous about what they might have in a collection/at home, as protection against thievery. I have many friends who have had people come onto their yard to "liberate" parts from them...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

THANK YOU MYSTERIOUS PERSON and/or FAMILY!!!

To everyone who cares.
For what it is worth. I have been very fortunate to have known a few wealthy collectors with fabulous collections. Many of them are wonderful people that contribute more to the hobby than most people know. Some have been directors of major national clubs, spending their own money and lots of very valuable time running club business, and planning our tours. Without these individual's contributions, our clubs would not be quite so wonderful as they are.
It is a fascinating contradiction in character. Most of these individuals are well enough known, and bring fabulous cars to both major national and small local events. But they really do not want it generally known how much they have. A few of their reasons, I do know. We have had personal conversations on the subject. And I am not telling! I respect these people, and their reasons.
Another interesting contradiction. As much as they try to be a bit secretive about just what they have? Their collections are seen often. Several collections I know of, are club tour destinations often for private viewings. A couple that I have been known to stop by for a short visit? I have been welcomed in and introduced to other major collectors from around the world that were there that day on scheduled private tours. I have met collectors and businessmen from Europe and Japan this way.

It is part of my personal philosophy, that I may be broke, and they may be wealthy. But they do not owe me anything. They are my friends. I feel quite privileged to know them as I do. And I am not saying who they are. You can try to guess, and you may guess correctly on one or two, but there are more such collectors out there than most of us will ever know of. I personally have known several, some of whom have since died. Through them, I have met or known of many others. I know that there are more than I have ever heard about.
Many of these people have good reasons for some level of secrecy. No, they are not trying to steal the world, or grab as much money as they can by any means that they can. These are antique automobile people. Like most antique automobile people, they have a better understanding of the world and their place in the universe than most people do. They are good people. They just happen to be wealthy for reasons good fortune.

I do not know who now owns T number 220. I will say an open "CONGRATULATIONS!" And "THANK YOU" for your kindness and generosity.
I will ask others to not harass them for their desire for a little secrecy.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

Michael,

The reason is, because we're not all the same, and some folks just don't like being what they might consider as "showy" or desirous of recognition. Maybe humble is the word. Whatever the reasoning, it's their choice, and through their generosity of sharing their new find, I think they've earned it, whether we understand it or not.

Wayne,

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 04:20 pm:

Wayne and Jerry said it well, and I echo their comments.

To the new owners of #220, I say congratulations on owning this rare car and thank you for loaning it for display at the Piquette plant.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Charvet on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

Glad to see it made it home in one piece - thanks to Reliable Transport. The driver was very careful with it when it left Portland. He understood the significance of the car.

Thanks for all of your help, Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Balough on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 07:49 am:

Here she is on Wednesday afternoon, from the back. What a beautiful car !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 08:36 am:

I love the total package of the cars and the building! Starting with Chevy in 1966 it was in what started out as the Raineer factory which was built in 1906-07 to build the Raineer Auto.The building was added on to several times but the org wood frame and brick remained line shafts and all. Every now and then the Saginaw News would print a old picture of a assembled Raineer and you could still find that spot in the old building! I say Good on all involved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 09:32 am:

Wow Bruce. You wasted no time in getting there to see it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 10:32 am:

The tires wash out when you turn on the lights, but the car shows up a little better.

Jerry, thanks for helping to make this happen.

Wayne, well said.

Several years ago I was visiting some folks who were selling some cars. They were obviously more well-heeled than I am. The wife told me people have actually come onto their property and asked what they have in their garage. I told her she should tell them, "That's where we have our Al Qaida meetings." As Wayne says, there are several good reasons people don't want to show off, and that's fine with me. I'm glad there are generous folks like this who are willing to share, even if they don't want to take credit for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 10:39 am:

Thanks Steve. Hope you get to visiting us sometime soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 10:50 am:

Jerry, great to see it there, if cars could feel happiness, this one would be ecstatic! Please post a Video when you get it running, it is noisy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

Could it be that the donator is Jerry and he is shaking hands with himself in the mirror? I love conspiracies.

Thanks all for making this happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

No guys, it's not me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 01:32 pm:

Fakel.All fake
It is not Piquette, but Area 51 Same stage they used to fake the moon landing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Balough on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

Jerry' I was there for the filming of a documentary on Joe Galamb for Hungarian T.V. It was planned weeks ago, and we were just lucky that She was there so fast. I don't know if they shot any footage with her. We did film on the second floor and the Experimental Room. We also filmed at Joe's grave site at Mount Olivet Cemetery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

Jerry,

Thank you for the update and all your support to our hobby and club!

To the new owner of 220 -- again thank you so much for making such a very special T available for so many of us to now see.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 04:45 pm:

You're very welcome Hap. Not sure I've really done all that much however.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

Bruce,Have you ever listened to the Joe Galamb oral reminesces at the Benson Ford Center?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Balough on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 08:26 am:

Bud,
Yes, I know of them.
My Grandfather Charles Balough, and Joe went to school together in Hungary. That was the late 1890s. They came over to America in 1903 and both ended up in the Experimental room at Ford. A few years ago Joes youngest daughter Gloria gave me Joes personal letters to give to The Henry Ford archives to ensure their survival. I am still sorting and translating the collection for them. Unfortunately we lost Gloria a few years ago, and I lost a friend. A few years ago I introduced Trent Boggess to Gloria, and we had a wonderful day with her. I recently wrote an article that was in the Horseless Carriage Gazette, it will tell the story of their history and friendship.
Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 07:51 am:

Bruce, on the topic of early cars, #220, Piquette and the experimental room, could you submit that article printed in the Horseless Carriage to the MTFCA. I think your grandfathers letters and history add much to are understanding of the early days at Piquette. I hope it is reprinted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 10:02 am:

What Robert said,and please. Bud.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration