Old Photo - Business Section, Wasco California

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Business Section, Wasco California
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 11:38 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 03:14 pm:

A Califunny town I never heard of? Wow. I even know about where Hambone was.
Nice photo! Thank you Jay!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

I love these old photos!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

Jay, I went thru Wasco a few weeks ago. Looks much the same. They raise a lot of flowers there for the flower shops. Many acres of color. Out in the middle of nowhere. And very hot. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

Wayne,
A friend of our family OWNS Hambone! Been there many times, even helped recover a '17 Pullman touring from some bushes out near there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Kile ....San Jose CA on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 07:56 pm:

Wasco is near Shaftner....does that help locate it??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

Wayne

Wasco is about 4 hours south of Hayfork.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

West of Famosa by about 25 miles. That should help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

East of 5 on the James Dean memorial hwy 46

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

David D, Now THAT is incredible!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

Bill, there is a Hayfork, CA.
It is up near Redding.
I went up there '70 and drove an old Porsche back to San Francisco with a broken clutch cable.
It is so far out in the boonies they get radio programs a day late.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 01:56 am:

The Hayfork reference must have been humor, as that ground is way too flat to be around Hayfork!
When I was in grade School, I seem to remember our High School football team was tramped by theirs--too many husky farm boys!! Our railroader kids just couldn't do it!(I grew up in Dunsmuir).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 02:40 am:

Bruce from San Jose: It is spelled "SHAFTER not Shaftner, sorry to correct you but my Dad worked in the south valley in the teen's and twenty's. He talked about Lost Hill, Taft, Fellow's McKittrick, Maricopa, during the oil field days. Some real wild stories.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan brinkman jr on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

This should help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

Jan: When my Dad worked in either Taft or Fellows apparently a strike was looming and there was a train load of "Scab" labors came to one of the town down there and the oil field workers would not let the guys of the train. The train went back to LA and that was the end of the problem. He often told that story. Have no idea what year that happened. I am sure if you were to research that era you could find some mention of it in the archives of history.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan brinkman jr on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 11:23 pm:

Great story. Sounds like your dad and the other men were not a bunch that one would want to mess with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 12:06 am:

Aaron
I used Hayfork as it is one of the "bigger" towns in that area. I have been through the town that used to have the drive through pot store, Bridgeville, and a few other wide spots between Eureka and I5.
However I live 30 miles from where Donald Turnupseed survived a famous accident with a Porsche in 1955.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration