Engine Schematics for school project

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Engine Schematics for school project
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

Hey everyone, I'm working on my mechanical engineering degree and taking a CAD class this semester. My big design project is a Model T engine that I'll be building from scratch in SolidEdge. I'll be happy to post pics along the way.

I was wondering if anyone had a diagram(s) or even just a list of what the different measurements of the engine are. For example, cylinder bore, distance between cylinders, exact dimensions on anything and everything related to the engine: crankshaft, con rods, pistons, flywheel, transmission, etc. If necessary I'll start looking things up one at a time, but I was hoping maybe there was a centralized location with most of this information.

Part of the requirement for my project is that the parts have to move. So, I'll have to be able to spin the crankshaft resulting in the pistons moving as well as the camshaft and valves etc. Thanks for any and all help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

Seth

Here are some. Have fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 02:06 pm:

And this one too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Husa on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 02:17 pm:

Check out this VIDEO of the T engine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnuRW3qye-A&feature=youtu.be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

That video is pretty sweet Steve. I won't be doing any animation at the end but I hope my model looks half that good when I get done. Thanks all for the inputs. I hope to get started tomorrow and have something worth posting a picture of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

Dan, I wouldn't be re-building a T engine with those ring gap specs, original or any other type of ring!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

The video was interesting, but way over lit at times and under lit at others and I would've rather seen real textures than that #4 micro finish, something about a mirror finish on an engine just doesn't fly. Bearing surfaces are one thing, but the entire engine...that's a no no, you need textural contrast to make it believable or at least interesting.

The animation was nice though, seeing the engine working through various stages was also a nice touch, why it was upside down??? Beats me! You can assemble it "head up" and still keep the identifiable content of the assembly and keep the uneducated viewer from questioning which is up and which is down.

The basic problem, is the engine kept zooming in and out of the frame. If the engine is the subject (which we all know it is), it should never go anywhere, it should always stay center frame. You can flip it, turn it, ghost different surfaces or zoom in or out for details all you want, but the subject should never stray from center frame, unless you're cutting to another scene and that has got to be clearly delineated. Otherwise the viewer tends to loose the continuity and sometimes attention spans waver.

This is just my opinion, based upon 35 different animated project presentations to the DOD. I realize not everybody is as lack witted as the our dear folks with the DOD, but you should allow that your audience attention span is limited if your subject ever goes off frame without something to explain it, like other assemblies queuing up for their assembly sequence.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 04:55 pm:

I had one member email me that he had some blueprints for the engine, but then never heard back from him. Does anyone have anything like that? The above posted pictures are good but I need things like how long the block is, or the distance between the cylinders, the length of the throw of the crankshaft . . .

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration