Rare windshield? Canadian? What can you tell me?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rare windshield? Canadian? What can you tell me?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Ward Durst on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 06:50 pm:

New Model T owner. Put up my first post on the 16th of this month and was happy and impressed with the response I received with regards to getting my car titled from nothing. Wonderful and knowledgeable people here, thanks. From that first post I put up a picture of what I was told is a 1923 Touring T. It has the wrong (upright) windshield for that year and comments were made that it was unusual, perhaps Canadian. While both rotate out from the center hub,
Rotates from both hubs.
the top window rotates also at the upper hub. I was folding it in different positions trying to figure out what purpose there might be for both the top and bottom sections of the windshield to rotate independently. I couldn't really come up with a good one BUT after learning last night about the Model T Cooker while looking thru a parts catalog, I went out in my garage and folded it in such a way that it made a very convenient shelf right where you would need it next to the cooker. A place for your bowls, plates and utensils to cook your Model T heart away in the snowy expanses of Hudson Bay in the early 20th century. And yes I do have an active Imagination.What do expert eyes tell you about this?
The shield in question...
Another look...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 07:24 pm:

Looks a lot like mine!

a

b

c

d

e

f

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Ward Durst on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

Is your top section attached to the lower hub. It looks like it rotates at the top hub and isn't attached at the bottom. Am I seeing that right. Looks like another strange version. Mine has no writing on it either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 08:36 pm:

Looks to me as thought the car has Model T windshield brackets but, the windshield is from another brand of car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 09:01 pm:

Likely aftermarket.

Here are a couple of types.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

Get out the latest Vintage Ford and take a close look at the cover picture- a similar windshield is on that car- appears to be a '14, but with a cowl. Possibly also a Canadian car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

Craig,

A belated welcome to the forum. And to keep from “spamming” the thread – please see the safety suggestions at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/576808.html they can save you time, money, and pain.

Ref the question concerning the windshield – it is NOT a Canadian windshield. The straight windshields that were fitted to the Canadian produced Fords were the same style used on the 1915-1922 USA produced Fords that had a straight windshield. The slant windshield introduced a few years earlier on the Canadian car than the USA cars allowed both the top and bottom glasses to be pivoted to adjust the breeze. While the USA slant windshield open cars only the top portion could be pivoted. Based on that – and the posting above – the windshield appears to be a nice accessory windshield or a slim chance that someone did a great job of making a one-off home made one – but they were really good if they made it themselves.

As Royce stated on your first posting – many Model Ts had parts replaced over time and some were constructed later in life from parts. If you desire to have help in figuring out what year range the parts of your car are from – just post photos along with the question “Please help identify the year of my T” or something similar. From the single photo on your first posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/579122.html?1444974990 and the three photos of the windshield you posted on this posting there is not enough information to conclusively date the majority o f the parts on your car. For example – the photo is too dark for me to see if the left side door area is a door (typical of the Canadian T and also the British Ts or if it is the typical false driver’s door supplied on the left hand drive USA produced cars. You obviously know if it does or does not have a left hand driver’s door. But from the photo I cannot tell.

Dan – if I could find my copy of the “Vintage Ford” I would look at the photo again. From memory – it appeared to have an accessory cowl and windshield. Below is one style that was sold back then. Photo courtesy of the May-Jun 1971 “Vintage Ford” used by permission to promote our hobby and our club. And in this case we know the car was a USA produced 1914 with lots of accessories added after purchase.

Note in the photo of the 1914 above -- you can clearly see that it does NOT have a left hand front door -- but the dummy USA false door.
Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

Craig,
Both your and my accessory windshields work alike. The top half section tilts on the upper hinge and folds down on the lower hinge to be against the lower section.
Your windshield seems to use stock Ford brackets to the cowl while mine has a special casting from the cowl up to the lower hinge.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration