Can I Buy Just a New 40 Tooth Ring Gear?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Can I Buy Just a New 40 Tooth Ring Gear?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 06:55 pm:

I have finally disassembled the Ruckstell that I bought on Ebay a month or so ago. Although it came with a new pinion gear, the ring gear is used and I don't like the looks of the wear pattern (see pics). It looks like the old pinion gear was running off the heel of each ring gear tooth, raising a burr at the heel of each tooth.

Can I buy just a new 40 tooth ring gear? The vendors websites show a ring & pinion set, but not a ring gear by itself.

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 10:56 pm:

I think you can only buy in a set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 12:31 am:

If you can wait, you might see a good used one at a swap meet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 01:38 am:

Push comes to shove you can always buy the set and sell the pinion on the classifieds here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 09:50 am:

Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered the set, with a note asking for just a new ring gear if one is available. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

Mixing an old pinyon with a new ring gear is asking for trouble, at least a noisy rear end. The feathers of the new ring and pinyons are not cut the same as the old. Better off following Jay's recommendation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 01:27 pm:

It isn't an old pinion, it's a new pinion. Per my initial post:

"Although it came with a new pinion gear..."

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

Sorry, didn't't catch that. Message is still the same, best not to mix the two, as you have seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 06:57 pm:

FYI, I sent a note with my order to Lang's for the ring and pinion, telling them I already had a new pinion and really only needed the ring gear - they were able to send me just the ring gear, saving me $180.00 versus buying the set.

Thankyou Lang's!!! :-)

p.s. If anybody wants my old ring gear, I'll be happy to send it to you for just the cost of shipping!

(Message edited by cudaman on October 22, 2015)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration