Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead ........

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead ........
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 07:42 pm:

My '26 Runabout is running with the Mike Kossor E-Timer ignition and has completed 2500 miles without any timer problems..... and hope to reach 5K miles without any anticipated problems. Any E-Timer users have similar experiences tom share ??????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

corection... to share. Please only E-Timer users need respond.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

Well, how is she running. Would like to get one .

john

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 08:11 am:

I've completed many decades and thousands of miles using original timers with absolutely not a single timer problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Spittler on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 09:54 am:

I run three of the E-timers and have one that has close to 10,000 miles on it and the other two have around three thousand miles on them. I have a neighbor who has driven his 1913 Model T from Pa to New York, Pa to Vermont, Pa to Utah for the national tour then on to California then down to Texas over to Mississippi and then back to Pa. ( that trip alone was over 9,000 miles) and neither of us has had a single issue with the E-timer or coils. Never even cleaned the inside of the timer. We've had zero issues with them, your mileage may vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 10:03 am:

I only used the etimer for about 10 miles because I am restoring the car.

I love how it levels off the hills.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 10:16 am:

I'm with Royce. Why change something that works so well in the first place?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 11:18 am:

I could only afford a D-timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 11:29 am:

OH OH Here we go again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 11:33 am:

Not one reported failure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 11:34 am:

Bob: I was trying to determine If Admiral Farragut had recently purchased a model "T" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

How many Unreported failures?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 12:47 pm:

Hal,

C'mon now. We're talking about T guys. What T guy can keep his mouth shut about a failure of any new part or gadget?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 12:58 pm:

All kidding aside, with all the arguments over the years, I don't know if anyone who has come on here and swore how great this thing is would ever admit if they had a failure. It would be a long hard fall for some. And assuming the manufacturer made it good, I can see where a failure would go 'unreported' to the general public. If the manufacturer did not make good on it, then yeah, I could believe someone might run their mouth.

Don't get me wrong. I am saying I know something others do not. I have just often wondered if we would ever hear about a failure if one were to occur.

It does seem like one guy said he shorted his out by opening the coil box with the switch on and shorted a point bridge to ground, but the manufacturer made good on it, but that was several years ago. I don't remember the details, but it does seem like there was story to this effect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

Oops. Sorry, that was supposed to say "I am NOT saying I know something others do not".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 02:03 pm:

Thanks for everyone for sharing about their off topic original Model T timer info.

Hal, thanks for clarifying about what you know.

I am very happy with my ETimer's performance and the lack of required maintenance. Recently I removed the spare Anderson Timer and extra coils from my tool box because of my trust in the reliability of this timer.

It has performer flawlessly. One thing so far is that I have not had any free starts but recently set it back to Mike for an update. Mike downloaded all the information stored in its chip and I was really impressed reading about how many times I had started the car, the min and max temperatures and also max RPM's.

I suggested to Mike about installing a little Bluetooth transceiver from my Fitbit. He said that it was initially considered but would have required more work involving another program to develop at additional cost. Seemed easy enough to me thinking of simple plug and play like everything else nowadays.

I recently purchased one of his ECCT's so that I can adjust my coils easily here at home. Of course I no longer need to adjust coils like before but now I can also help other club members that are running on coils and also to check the magneto. performance.

I have only heard of one incident regarding an ETimer failure since they have been in use. That was involved with a local club member that accidentally shorted it out somehow. Like all of our great suppliers Mictel responded quickly to repair the unit free of charge even though it was the fault of the installer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 02:32 pm:

OK, I love my E-Timer but did encounter a problem. With the timer - No, it was when my ground cable came loose from the battery while driving on tour. It was loose enough that it would bounce on the terminal making and breaking the connection. Obviously when the connection was broken, no ignition and when it would make again the raw fumes in the exhaust would explode startling my wife and dog. It took me longer than it should have to identify the problems and in that time I had contacted Mike who insisted that I send him the timer to be checked and fixed. I temporarily ran my Anderson with a backup set of unmodified coils. The car ran OK but I was glad when my cable issue was fixed and I got my E-Timer back from Mike. It was unharmed by the experience and worked just fine (and better than the Anderson) when back in the car.

So, not a problem with the E-Timer but an operator malfunction causing inconsistent power to the timer. The timer survived just fine which please me as some electronics aren't real fond of intermittently flashing the power source.

I'm happy to have my E-Timer - Thanks to Both Mike and Hutch for quick service with a smile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

There is a fellow T owner that most of us are familiar..... drives all over the place with no boundaries..... and his engine runs on the E-Timer !!

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/581403.html?1445728649#POST776856

Great reading, great experience !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 08:15 pm:

E Timer??
Ahh that's right! the thing up the front that I haven't looked at for a couple of years!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 08:42 pm:

Yup, that's the one. I believe Dean Yoder has driven the most on the E-Timer, anyone else in sunny Australia come close ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 05:19 pm:

How many free starts are you guys getting with your timers. I recently got mine updated but still have not had a free start yet. The car starts very easily with just a quarter pull of the crank but still waiting for my first.

Of course I don't hold this against it and would not trade for anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

Gene:

I haven't experienced a free start with the E-Timer.... but I'm running the coils without the top hardware or points. Engine starts in quarter crank most times even with a low 6 volt battery.

I have a set of calibrated coils protected in a Ford Coil Box and Anderson timer in the trunk of the '26 Runabout... have not had to use them yet....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 10:40 am:

I am encouraged by what I hear about the e-Timers but they are a tad bit expensive!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

John: Compare the price of 4 rebuilt coils and a quality timer to the price of a E-Timer , plus shipping charges...... How do the prices compare ?

Just putting that in perspective.....

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration