Old Photo - Dahlen Auto Garage Ford Sales And Service

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Dahlen Auto Garage Ford Sales And Service
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 11:37 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 01:09 am:

Jay-

That place is near and dear to my heart.

Dahlen Ford was the Ford Agency in Walla, Walla, Washington. This is the building the agency moved into on East Main & Palouse in 1917.

Previously, they were on Poplar between 1st and 2nd. I know of two people had a connection with Dahlen Ford.

The first is Floyd Clymer. Some of you all will recognize that name. Clymer wrote Henry's Wonderful Model T and many other books. He worked there selling cars in 1910-1911.

The second is Elhanan Parkes. That one might have you stumped. Who was Elhanan Parkes?
He is the man who bought my Model T there new in 1911.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 01:56 am:

Interesting car. Speedster of some sort?
Thank you Jay! Also thank you Keith T for the added information!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 03:50 am:

Keith, how cool is that?! It's wonderful that you know the history of your car, and can see a picture of the dealership. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 08:30 am:

Keith, that is so neat. And another "cool Jay" picture! Looks like a raging gale going on that day, by looks of the stretched out tattered flag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

Dahlen Ford was established in 1909 when Harold Dahlen came to Walla Walla with five Model T's from Bellingham, Washington. Franklin among other bigger cars had the market at the time and he was not taken particularly serious. In a confrontation with a local citizen, he said, " The Ford is all that I say it is; the five Ford Cars I have brought to Walla Walla are paid for; I can also live awhile if I don't sell 'em; and if Walla Wallans don't want 'em I can take 'em back to Bellingham and no harm done." Soon he sent for his brother to help sell the cars. In 1911they challenged Franklin to a race up the Tollgate Toll Road, which the Ford won. By 1917, the Dahlen Ford agency had sol 3,500 Model T's in the area.

Bellow is a copy of the newspaper clipping using this win to advantage:

The above picture looked familiar to me , so I set out to find the building. Using the address, I was finally able to locate the building. It had undergone a major face lift in the past 10 years and it took a side view of the building to confirm this being the old Dahlen Agency. The reason for the open lot to the left are the streetcar tracks running at an angle to the rear (now occupied by a pie shaped building).

side view of current building

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration