Installing New 1926-27 Cowl Vent Gasket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Installing New 1926-27 Cowl Vent Gasket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 11:41 am:

As simple as it may seem, I am trying to figure out how to install the repop cowl vent gasket without scratching the paint by the metal rod that sits on the backside of the vent. I assume that the rod should go under the lip of the vent, but it cannot where the holes are punched and actually interferes with the screws. Is the beaded part of the gasket too wide for the lip? For those who have installed it, have you made any adaptations? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 06:30 pm:

Easy to do, pierce the ends of the rubber gasket and lace the rubber in position,...place the wire behind the ribbon spring, slip in the remaining bent end of the wire then stretch the rubber as you place the wire behind the lid ribbon spring, putting it behind the cowl lip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 04:07 am:

Dan:

Thanks for the help. I got some good advice from Dave at Chaffin's in regards to the wire being too thick, as well as it being made of steel. I have some thinner stainless wire that I used and solved the problem.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration