SCAM

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: SCAM
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 01:07 pm:

I have my 1926 Tudor for sale and got a text that looked pretty good. He asked the right questions etc. I received what "looked like" an email from PayPal but it didn't look "quite right".

The red flags were:
Formatting of email was wrong
Dollar amount was to HIGH by $1500
The fine print said I needed to send $1400 to the man who was going to transport the vehicle from my place to Phoenix.
PayPal validated it was a phishing attempt.

Ironically I have another buyer waiting in the wings whom I expect to hear from soon. Do you think my "BS" sensors are turned on??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

Someone much smarter than I once said "Always err on the side of caution" yep good onya

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 01:20 pm:

John - How did this guy hear that your Tudor was for sale,.....Craig's List, E-Bay,.....???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 01:46 pm:

About six years ago, a couple of guys got wind of the fact that I was in the market for a Model T: _One phoned and touted himself as a Model T expert, but he didn't seem to know what Rocky Mountain brakes were, had no idea what a Ruckstell was and when I pressed him a little about the way his car was geared, he stated that, "Well, the car's a stick shift, of course—they didn't have automatics, back then."

Oh, but the crowning glory was the second guy who phoned—also announcing that he was a Model T guru and had a 1914 for sale. _I said, "So the car has gas lamps." _He replied, "Yeah; matter of fact, I just hooked them up to the fuel pump yesterday—they work real good, now." _I knew I had a live one on the line and just for fun, pressed him with some easy Model T questions anyone on this forum could have answered. _When asked him about whether the car had a two-man top, he replied that his car had a back seat, therefore it had a four-man top. _Two-man tops were for roadsters. _When I asked him about his hogs-head, he realized I was on to him. _Folks, you couldn't make this stuff up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

Thank you for sharing your experience and wisdom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 02:21 pm:

Harold:
Here's the link: http://www.classifiedads.com/classic_cars_antiques-ad190965488.htm

Wayne,

Your welcome. Glad I caught it. Too many boneheads out there for me to be TOO trusting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 05:16 pm:

Did you offer to trade for vinyl siding, a new dish, and long distance telephone service ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

Nope.... trading for American Greenbacks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 07:24 am:

Haven't had any issues with EBay buyers yet, but Craigslist is a whole other story. My favorite was the time some guy sent me a check for an item drawn on a Texas pension fund. I sent the check and contact details to the WI Atty Genl's. consumer protection div., then emailed the sender of my actions explaining that I wanted verify the legitimacy of the payment. Strangely enough, I never heard any more from the prospective buyer.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration