Changing a 1926-27 Wire Wheel Tube

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Changing a 1926-27 Wire Wheel Tube
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

What is the best procedure to change out a tube in a 1926-27 wire wheel?

Do both sides of the tire have to be removed from the rim or can one side be removed and the tube extracted and replaced?

Does it make any difference which side is removed if only one side is required to be removed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Martel in Temperance MI on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 02:47 pm:

I just did one last week, here is what worked for me.
First of all I mounted the wheel in the spare tire carrier, this gives you something rigid to push on.
Dismount one side of the tire and pull out the old tube.
I used a couple of C clamps to break the bead all the way around.I found it easiest to cut the old valve stem off with a pair of side cutters.
Insert a "valve stem fishing tool" (available for a couple $$'s from my Farm supply store) through the valve stem hole and onto the new tube's valve stem. Then insert the tube into the tire all the way around.
Then using tire irons and a lot of squeezing and pushing and moving around, I reseated the outer bead.
I next removed the valve stem core and pumped up the tube several times to get it into its natural position inside the tire.
Finally reinstall the valve core and air up the tire.

Good Luck
Your results may vary!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

Check out this post.

You should be able to change with only one bead broken. I used baby powder on the tube; cleaner. Just changed 8 tires/tubes/flaps on wood spoked/ rim liner on wire.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/565179.html?1440642319

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 06:25 pm:

The Ford wire wheels are 'drop center' wheels, and much easier to change tires/tubes than the other wheels (both 21" and the clincher rims). I usually don't need any tools to put the tire back on the rim, saving the paint! You do need to lubricate the tire though. You get one side of the tire down in the drop center (not where the valve-stem is)and the other side will slowly work on, then center the tire and partially inflate it, checking for it seating properly, before full inflation--in fact, once you get the sidewalls seated, let the air out of the tube to allow the tube to re-settle inside the tire, then air it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 04:49 pm:

The advice was great and made changing out the tube rather easy.

Putting the new tube in, I filled it with about 40 pounds of air and let it out twice without the valve in the stem.

I put the valve in and tried to add air, then I realized the valve was missing and apparently had been screwed all the way into the tube.

The removed ECC tube was examined and found to hold air with a new valve in the stem.

This morning that tube was put back in with the above procedure and the tire was replaced on the vehicle.

So far all OK, but the other valve does not appear to be in that other tube or any place else.

A new valve and air has been added to that tube and did not seem to be capable of screwing all the way in to the tube.

That one is holding air too.

Just another one of life's little mysteries.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration