Measuring Carb Adjustment Rods On Improved cars

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Measuring Carb Adjustment Rods On Improved cars
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 03:56 pm:

How are the carb adjustment rods on 26-27 cars measured; from square end tip to base of adjusting knob, or from square end tip to flat surface on top of the adjusting rod? The parts book show 7 different rods and part numbers and 7 different lengths. I have 3 different length rods, but none of them are even within a inch of the longest rod listed, which happens to be the one I need for a 27 coupe with a vaporizer. The reproduction rod which you can cut to size is even shorter than the 31 1/16" rod that I need, so buying a repo won't help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

Lang's catalog says their adjusting rod is 32" long, which should work. Another vendor's catalog said their rod was only 29 1/4" long which wouldn't be long enough. I would like to have my first question answered about how the factory measured the original rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 09:04 am:

Go by the Ford parts book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 09:36 am:

Terry

Don't have carb rod length measures other than the Ford Parts & Price list.

But have an original 4588D, Priming rod ('23-'25) high cowl, its the 'choke' rod that comes out the dashboard, with factory alum. knob. Measured it 'overall length' from end of bent end to top of knob, same as Price List size: 13 1/16"

So think the part measures for rods are overall lengths.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 12:49 am:

Since the Lang's repo is 32" and I need 31 1/16", I'll have to use one of them, cut down. The other three original rods that I have, measure: 29 15/16" (with 1" of rod welded in). Originally, 28 15/16". This exactly matches T-4129J (1925 coupe, tudor, fordor with vaporizer). 27 1/8", closest match is T-4129K (1925 roadster and touring car with vaporizer 27 5/8"), and 23 15/16", closest match is T-4129B (1925 roadster, touring car, and C-cab, 24 1/8"). If anyone has one of the 31 1/16" adjusting rods, I'd buy or trade all three of these rods that I have, to get what I need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Shore on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

Terry I measured the rod that was in my 27 Coupe with a vaporizer and the total was 31 inches including the knob. The bottom part that goes into the carb adjuster is square 3 1/4 inches long. The holes for the choke piece are 5 3/4 inches and 7 inches up from the end of the rod. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Frank, Thanks for the information. It will be a great help when I assemble the carb adjusting rod.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration