Drilling a hole for oil in the rod bearing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Drilling a hole for oil in the rod bearing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 04:55 pm:

Hi, as can be read in another thread, I blew a rod bearing crossing the high bridge part of Great Belt bridge at relatively high speed (55 - 60 km/h - 35 - 40 mph). Now I have opened the bottom of the engine and identified it is cylinder #3. But what I have also revealed is, that there is no hole drilled in the bottom of the rod bearings and neither dippers. I am aware of that both is something done and installed later, but probably a good idea when you sometimes have to drive your model T at high way speeds (the Great Belt Bridge is in reality the only way to cross from east Denmark to west Denmark and is a highway).
Now how big a hole would you drill in the lower part of the rod bearings? 3 mm/0,12"? 4 mm/0,16"? Larger? Smaller?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 06:45 pm:

Michael
I do my rebuilds at 5mm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

I drilled mine 5mm and fluted that hole slightly in the bearing surface. I also drilled a 3mm hole on top the bearing curve in the rod web area and fluted that hole on the flywheel side of the rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 01:05 am:

I was going to post 4mm, but I agree 5 would be ok too. I have drilled them 1/16 inch. I don't know how that compares to 4 or 5 mm.
If you're going to use 30 weight roofing tar instead of 5-30 or 10-30 motor oil you'd be better off to drill the oil holes in the caps to a quarter inch.
Ok, 1/8 inch.
I always add the dippers on a rebuild. I put a flat washer under each end of the dippers to make them set better against the rod caps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 01:22 am:

3 mm I think is approx 3/32 or 1/8 for us stateside boys

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 03:00 am:

The rods we have built we use 3/16 on each side of the web, like the Model A.

The T caps have to have at least 3/16, and 1/4 would not hurt.

Model A caps have a 1/4 hole in the dipper.

The Chevy 4 has a 3/16 hole in the cap. and a 1/4 inch hole on each side of the web.

A 216 Chevy has a 5/16 hole in the cap, and 5/32 in one side of the web.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 10:05 pm:

A Model T engine oils well and will run 35-40 mph for extended periods just fine. If something fails it is usually the crankshaft. That has been my experience. I suspect your rod failed because of poor fit due to looseness or a twisted rod. Adding holes and dippers may improve things but I don't think your #3 rod failed because it did not have them.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration