Hogshead problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Hogshead problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jon pederson, Minneapolis,MN on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 06:39 pm:

Today I attempted, for my first time, to install the trans cover. I can say it was a real pain in the ***. Any reason why I couldn't ditch the felt and just use RTV along the top?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

That is what I do, although I don't use ordinary RTV. I use a product called "The Right Stuff" which is a fiber reinforced RTV made specifically for this sort of application where a large gap needs to be filled with sealant only. Regular RTV can work OK but you need to be sure it has plenty of time to cure and that there are no voids caused by gravity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 07:28 pm:

I put a line RTV blue on the block lay the felt let sit then lay a beer on the hogs head were the felt would be and install never had any trouble

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

Same thing Bob, but I drink the beer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

I use the beer method in the shop also but it causes me to leak, not the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

I massage a thick bead of black RTV into each side of the felt, so I virtually have a silicone gasket held together by the felt. I put the ends in place on the block and work the rest of the gasket down onto the land.

This means the thing stays in place when working on the cover.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 12:15 am:

I've used a bead of RTV on several and haven't had a leak yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 01:27 am:

Always drink beer mate that's always a good timer
Cheers and beers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 08:16 am:

I thought a good beer was "the right stuff".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 08:30 am:

I read a thread here a few years ago when I installed the hogshead on mine about using shellac with the felt. The idea was to saturate the felt in the shellac, let it dry a bit, then install while still fairly wet and sticky. Worked great for me. I suppose it's just another type of "sealant". Think I still have the can of shellac, as I bought it just for that purpose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 11:26 am:

When installing the transmission cover RTV is a lifesaver. I use it to hold down the gaskets and the felt before sealing things up.
Years ago I would use grease to hold things in place.
Nowdays its RTV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jon pederson, Minneapolis,MN on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 11:32 am:

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to get some "right stuff" and try that. My biggest problem was I couldn't get the felt to compress enough to get the cover to block bolts on top to line up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 11:47 am:

You might find some good tips here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTvzA7QLbZ8

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

Jon:

The felt provided by the vendors may be too thick.

For you purists -

A seven page article "The Transmission Cover Felt" by Trent Boggess and Steve Coniff appeared in the May/June 2005 issue of "Vintage Ford."

The article includes the history of the felts as well as restoration tips.

The transmission cover felts, like all Model T Ford parts, were engineered/designed to certain specifications and drawings and memos exist for the felts.

It turns out that the hogshead felt supplied by the vendors is not made to the original specifications in that it is too thick. This can be remedied by carefully splitting the felt.

ALSO - depending on the year of the Model T, there were two types of shorter felts that were also used, an additional felt at the top of the crest between the hogshead and block and a felt under the transmission cover at each of the crankcase arms.

Interestingly enough, the Ford supplement in my 1917 edition of Dyke's Automobile and Gasoline Engine Enclopedia shows an "Edelman's" brand Model T Ford gasket set that includes the two shorter felts and lists their dimensions which are identical to those in the Ford factory drawings, including the specified 3/64" thickness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

Great video, Mike & Arkansas group. That is how we do it.

I especially like the 30.06 cartridge for a centering/alignment tool. That is what it looks like, anyway.

Great idea. And, it is just the right size.

Gasket centering tool

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration