Oil vs grease on a bolt associated with an oiler question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Oil vs grease on a bolt associated with an oiler question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 07:50 pm:

Does it (really) matter if bolts like the spindle bolt for example gets grease when fitted, then oiled over time once it is in place?

It seems like grease would work better or stay longer. I wasn't sure if oil grease combo would gunk up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

I always do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 08:08 pm:

Chain saw bar oil is your friend, it pours like honey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 09:06 am:

Been using plain motor oil forever, just like Ford says to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 11:36 am:

Grease can dry out and prevent oil from getting where it needs to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 11:41 am:

Robert, the spindle bolts are made so that oil will penetrate to the bottom, grease won't be able to do that. Any oil will work, I use either Lucas or bar and chain oil whichever I have on hand. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

Like Mr. Moore, I was taught to use chainsaw bar oil in the oilers. It seems to work well for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

I think grease would be better for a while but maybe oiling often would flush out the grit to avoid wear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 08:00 pm:

I have chain saw bar & chain oil in the Ford oil can on my workbench. I use it everywhere Ford says to apply oil. It's good stuff -- better than motor oil for chassis oiling.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration