A bit of OCD: nitpicking the steering wheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: A bit of OCD: nitpicking the steering wheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

It began when I crammed too much grease into my steering gear. It leaked out the bottom, so every time I adjusted the spark when starting up I got grease smeared on my hand. Today I set about cleaning up the mess and reducing the volume of lubricant to stop the leaking. When reassembling the gear, I wondered about the orientation of the steering wheel. Should it be positioned with the joints at top and bottom, at a 45 angle to the right or the left, or horizontally? I finally went with the last arrangement.

Does anybody else play Hamlet over stuff like this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

this is how our 16 looks with the wheels strait ahead I don't think the wheel has ever been off there is no signs of wrench marks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

Not me! One time though, I did realize, just in time, that I was not the only loose nut behind the wheel. While driving down the road I noticed that the steering wheel cap nut had backed nearly all the way off. It was almost a Laurel and Hardy moment, you know, where Stan hands the steering wheel to Ollie and says, "Here, you drive."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

Clearly the spokes should be at 45 so they don't obstruct your view of the instruments on the dashboard.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 11:49 pm:

I pay no attention to how the steering wheel is oriented. Right now I could not tell you where it is on either car. I usually drive one handed anyway while texting with my right hand. No not really. The right hand just rests on the wheel and controls the throttle, or adjusts the rear view mirror. My left hand controls the wheel.

I try to keep my eyes on the road and only occasionally glance at the ammeter. That is the only thing to look at on the dashboard anyway.

Otherwise you just want to orient the wheel so the airbag does not get caught in the wheel in the event of a collision. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 01:11 am:

Alas! Poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio. He was a man of infinite jest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Clyde in Cedarville CA on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 01:26 am:

Paul, I'm trying to figure out what that is just to the left of your brake handle. ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 01:44 am:

Steve, did you ever see the Anal Retentive Carpenter skit that Phil Hartman
did on Saturday Night Live ? I think you'd get a good laugh out of it. I did ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 09:02 am:

What instruments on the on the dashboard???????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 11:00 am:

Yeah, I do! ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 11:13 am:

How do the folks who are 'purists' install them on their cars? Makes you wonder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

Dave that is a bulb horn that was put on before 1941 by the original owner to replace the mag horn it still works very good even tho the rubber is bent out of shape I plan to leave it on even after I get the mag horn working kids shur like it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 11:23 am:

>>>Steve, did you ever see the Anal Retentive Carpenter skit that Phil Hartman
did on Saturday Night Live?<<<

Hey, wait a minute! Isn't anal-retentive supposed to be hyphenated?

(Message edited by jesselashcraft on October 29, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 11:30 am:

Perfectionist tendencies may be hereditary. When Dad built a house Mom claimed he was so meticulous he sanded the studs. She may have been exaggerating just a little.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 02:43 pm:

Mine only has one finger joint. Do I have twice as many choices or half as many?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 03:55 pm:

Steve,

I think about this too. Several years back, a fellow chapter member was hit head-on in his T while sitting still in a left hand turn lane. The force of the hit caused the steering wheel rim to break into pieces in his hands. The steering wheel spoke at the 6 o'clock position impaled him in the gut. Very luckily, it didn't go deep. His worst complaint was that he bled onto his new pants. Still, since we drive mostly straight ahead, the spokes located as you have them, might not be so damaging in a wreck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

Also, since you generally drive with your hands in the 9 and 3 positions, the spider should be oriented so as not to interfere with your grip. So just as you have it (though I would turn it 90 degrees so your hands weren't on the joints, less chance of a splinter).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

Richard - but you have two key ways so it seems you have twice as many or maybe 4 times.

I heard somewhere (dangerous) that the wheels with 2 key ways were Ch%#y rather than Ford. Can anyone verify? I wouldn't want Richard running around with spurious parts. :-)

Then again, maybe I'm just confused, again, or still.

Walt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

Early spiders were double keyed, Walt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 04:52 pm:

Maybe Chevy did that, but the steering wheels didn't look like a Model T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 04:54 pm:

OK, I feel better now. Thanks Guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

The steering wheel on my 1924 cut-off pickup came to me oriented with the spokes vertical and horizontal (45 degrees to Steve's first picture). I could have changed it when I inspected and re-packed the steering quadrant, but I left it alone because I grip the wheel just above the horizontal spokes and I like to have leverage against the spokes when I drive with gloves on (guess I'm a wimp for using gloves when it's cold). I bought gloves with the grippy rubber dimples on the palms, but having the spokes for leverage is extra insurance. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

Steve, I was getting ready to ask the same thing!

After trying 3-9 and 4:30-7:30 o'clock positions I always found the latter to be more comfortable for my hands. It is also easier to see the spark and gas levers.

I really enjoy knowing the "factory correct" way of fitting parts. It's what makes restoring an antique car so much fun IMHO. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 01:19 am:

I install the top end of the steering column, and install the wheel. Where it winds up is where it winds up.
But, that is me.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam "POPS" Humphries Lexington, KY on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 07:05 am:

Made this 2 piece wheel out of a piece of Honduras Mahogany. Parted off half and turned 90 degrees, drilled for dowels (6) and glued. Finish is Boiled Linseed Oil.Wheel 1Wheel 2Wheel 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 08:35 am:

I think the "X" configuration for the spokes works best, but it doesn't seem like Ford had any system for always placing the steering wheel in any specific way. There exists a lot of assembly line photos where the front wheels are directed by rails to point forward, still the steering wheels doesn't seem to be uniform.
This looks like a 1924/25 assembly line photo, possibly canadian since the lower windshield on the Touring opens:

Not even the 15 millionth T seems to have been given any particular care when the steering wheel was placed:

15 bw

And it looks the same today (though repainted)

15 color

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 01:18 pm:

Steve the grease event in the steering box reminded me of an old argument with a partner about " Over Servicing ". We had a tail wheel on a Stinson that would not lock-up, because we had so much grease in it that the locking pin was locked out. A friend suggested the "Over Servicing" and my partner exploded back that there is no such thing. I still smile when reminded,,,,,,,,,ok improper service. Maybe " Over Servicing " would be a good thread.......Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 02:25 pm:

Continuing the "over servicing" theme:

One of my brothers used to work in a mom-and-pop corner gas station. One day a guy came in with his engine making weird gurgling noises. He wanted the station to check it out.

The first thing my brother did was pull the dipstick, it was wet all the way to the top, so he cleaned it off, re-inserted it, and got the same result - wet to the top. So, he pulled off the oil cap and the guy had filled his engine with oil all the way to the top of the valve covers!

When my brother asked him about it, he said that the cap said "oil fill", so he filled it!

My brother explained that the owner's manual specified five quarts only and gave him the price to drain out the gallons of old oil, change the filter, and put in 5 quarts of new oil.

The guy thought a moment and then said, "No, I think you're trying to cheat me!" and gurgled his way out of the station! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 03:52 pm:

When I was going to college, taking auto shop classes, we had a tune-up clinic class with multiple engines on stands to run & work on. Well, some students couldn't get one engine to run, so they called on the professor (Dr. Jolly--yes, his real name!)to come take a look. He hit the starter and BLOP!! out came a bunch of oil from the fill pipe/vent. Turned out someone had put a dipstick from a VW in the engine, and each class had dutifully added a quart of oil to it, until it was way over-filled. Of course, no one compared notes and questioned why the engine was so low of oil!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration