Caster angle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Caster angle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Hoban on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 04:45 am:

What is the proper caster angle for a model T.

My steering is heavy, and I suspect it could be excessive caster angle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 05:20 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 06:12 am:

Brendan,

The Model T Service manual (T-1 from the vendors) is available on line at: http://mtfci2002.readyhosting.com/manuals/Model_T_Service_Manual/mtsm.html . The information Frank posted (thank you Frank) is also shown on page 45. Some of the other pages may come in handy in the future.

And at the thread at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/40382.html there is a discussion about the front axle and how to set it properly. If you don’t have a carpenter’s square readily available – Ted Aschman in his Tinkerin Tips section of the “Vintage Ford” shared: you can also us a plumb bob and a regular size wooden pencil as shown below:

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 07:12 am:

Brendan,

What size tires, and what air pressure are you using?

When my 30 X 3 tires get much below 50 lbs, the steering does feel different.
(I try to maintain 60-65 psi.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 06:10 pm:

Brendan,

Has it always had "heavy" steering? Or did that recently develop? And if it did recently develop was any maintenance done and if so what?

In general as the parts wear such the caps that hold the tie rod (Ford used the term Spindle connecting rod part #2717 with several versions available) and drag link (original Ford term Steering Gear Connecting Rod part # 2725 with several versions available) tend to become lose and it is easier to steer the car. However if the ball parts have worn to egg shaped and the caps have been filed to take up the slack, then it will move easy but get harder/heavier the more you turn the wheel. If you have not checked the grease in the steering gear housing that may also be contributing to the problem. Very old grease can become quite hard. Or no grease can cause issues also.

In general the touring and roadsters with the 30 x 3 1/2 or 30 x 3 in the USA front clincher tires are very light on the steering. You should be able to grasp the front tire at the front of the tire and easily move the steering wheel.

Have you driven other Ts and yours has "heavy steering" compared to them or is there some other comparison you are using? And if you have the 21 inch balloon tires the steering will be harder.

I'm sure you will be able to figure it out. And if you have someone close by that is familiar with Ts, having a second set of eyes to look at things can often be very helpful.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration