Happy Birthday to Me!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Happy Birthday to Me!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 08:10 am:

Well, I'm officially old today (65) and qualify for Medicare. If I had known I'd live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. :-) But don't break-out the shovels just yet. I feel some arthritis coming on in a couple of joints but a half an Excedrin helps for about a half day. I'm slower moving but nimble enough to run, if I need to. My BP has been pretty steady over the last 20 years at around 65/120. I'm not on any medications and I'm grateful for that. I guess it won't be long before I'm grateful just to wake up in the morning and get out of bed. My mom has 25 years on me and still gets around pretty well so I'm hoping she passed that trait. Her aunt lived to be 102 and remained self sufficient until the end. Must be the good Indian on that side of the family.

So, everyone have a piece of cake and some ice cream, if you're allowed. Light a candle, if you choose. I'm celebrating all that has been given to me so far by the grace of God.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 08:21 am:

What? After all this time you go and turn out to be actually younger than me????

Wow............bummer! What edition is your Machinery Handbook? <grin>

Ha Ha only kidding...

Have a Happy Happy...seriously...

As to the other and what old guys talk about all the time...one Aleeve in the Morning, one Aleeve in the evening, and your joints feel 15 again...forget the pills for a few days, life is still good, but then you wake up one morning all locked up....:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 08:32 am:

He, he, he. 15th edition, 1956. It took me a while to be able to reach the feed handles. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 08:35 am:

That old?

Happy Birthday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 08:39 am:

65? People still live that long? :-) So what does not hurt?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 08:53 am:

It's tough to get old but it beats the alternative!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 09:31 am:

Nothing hurts except my left index and right middle finger. Perhaps too much pointing and "saluting" over the years. :-) Everything still works otherwise. Maybe a little tightness in the knees and ankles. I used to run a lot, when I was in my 30s and 40s. Getting down on the garage floor/creeper is easy, it's getting back up that takes longer. ;)

Yes, I'm enjoying the alternative.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 09:53 am:

Happy Birthday Ken,and wishing you many more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 10:26 am:

My machinery handbook was 18th Edition...slow learner ha ha....I was proud of a shiny cover jacket in the drafting room...never realized should have bought a used one to add 'presence' to my tenure. ha ha....

(Sorry to those who don't know, universal inside joke for mechanical engineer types...the 'edition' of their basic handbook that no matter what the age, they keep it at the handy)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 10:50 am:

Happy birthday! :-)

You folks made me look at my Machinery's Handbook and it is older than me.:-(
I am 70 and it is 1943 the 11th edition!

My Mark's Mechanical Engineers Handbook 6th edition is 1958,
Handbook of Chemistry and Physics 63rd edition -1983,
Welding Handbook 9th edition 2001
and McMaster Carr Catalog #100 is 1994. :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 10:53 am:

Happy Birthday Ken! You're luck re the Arthur Itus...I'm "only" 61 and I usually need 2 Excedrin every day now for the last 3 years! I'll definitely take you up on the cake and ice cream suggestion! And I thank the Good Lord every day for letting me wake up, especially with having slowly worsening sleep apnea. Can't handle the CPAP, so I'm "on my own". I treasure every day like it's my last. Especially when I can take cute chicks out for rides as I posted in the "what did you do Oct." thread! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 11:00 am:

Happy birthday Ken keep going! I am 75 and it only hurts to get up from the floor.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 11:49 am:

Happy Birthday, Ken, and may you have many more!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 12:05 pm:

Happy Birthday Ken!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

I am definitely younger than my handbook issue--right now I can't find it!!
Took me a minute or two to figure out your reference, Ken! We slow down as we get older. I used to tune a piano in 1-1/2 hours, now 2-1/2 to 3 is my average, plus two trips to the bathroom!
:-)
Off to look at some player piano parts and Model T parts!
Later!
Many sorry returns on your day!! (Norwegian B-Day joke)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 02:01 pm:

Happy Birthday Ken, you are a role model for us youngsters. May you enjoy many more years of hand cranking :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 03:16 pm:

Happy Birthday Ken. 65 is the new 45 so you have a great many years of T'ing ahead of you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 03:25 pm:

Happy birthday. My Wife's dad always said when you get old what still works hurts what dosent work dosent hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 03:30 pm:

Happy Birthday to Ken K! And well wishes to all.
Drive carefully, and do enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

Happy Birthday, Ken. I'm surprised that you're only 65 -- I thought you were a lot older than I am. (And I'm 70.) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

Ken, it appears that when you were born, I was probably excited about my upcoming ninth birthday party that was going to occur three days later. :-)

I take some medications for blood pressure and a few other things, but they all seem to be working. I still feel pretty good but realize I can't do as much as I once could. Still, that seems to be a fair trade-off for still being here and enjoying life. I'm a little older now than my grandmother was when she died, but still younger than everyone else. (If she had had the same heart attack today that she had in 1960, she'd have survived.)

Happy birthday!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

Happy Birthday Ken. I have you beat by 19 years. Today I took off the old and installed 2 new tires on my Runabout. BP 127 over 70, one Nexium a day and weight 165. Can lift a rear corner of my Runabout/PU. "No brag, just fact." Ken, I would gladly wait for you if I could. Getting old ain't for sissies!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 10:41 pm:

Will be 77 in a couple weeks. Rick is right about getting up off the floor. Have to think twice if it's worth getting under the car or can it wait till really necessary. Can't walk any distance like I used to so got one of these to get around car shows and flea markets. Its electric and can go any place a mobility vehicle is allowed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 10:49 pm:

Tell the truth Hal,.....the good this that you were able to lift the rear corner of your Runabout/PU, but the bad thing is that you forgot why had lifted it, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

Harold, U hit the nail on the head!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 05:45 am:

Ken,

Happy B'day! And thank you for so many years of support to our club and hobby!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 06:14 am:

Happy, happy Ken!! Ahhh...what were we talking about?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Horton on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 08:13 am:

I’ve always felt that the P-51 Mustang is the most beautiful plane ever built so for my 80th birthday back in July, my family put together a sizable chuck of change to give my an hour of flight time in the back seat of the Morman Mustange based in Rexburg Idaho.
We flew formation with another P-51 over the Idaho Falls 4th of July parade, then headed for Ashton, picking up a T-6 Texan on the way, flew their parade route and headed back for Rexburg. My boys had informed the pilot that since I was 80, all he had to do was fly me from point A to point B and back. Between Ashton and Rexburg
I asked the airplane driver if we could do a barrel roll and an Immelman. We did a barrel roll, a 4 point and a snap roll on the way to Rexburg’s 4th parade and when we landed, the barf bag was still empty. YAHOO!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 09:57 am:

Happy Birthday Ken!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 01:35 pm:

Happy birthday!:-)
I used to think 65 was old, but then I can even remember when I thought 20 was old! If your health is good, you very likely will live to be 100!

Dr. Kling. My advice is not always right, but you can't beat the price.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

Ken,

Are you not aware that you only have one birthday ?? All others are rightly considered
anniversaries

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 04:56 pm:

My machinists hand book is copyright 1923. It has the original owners name written in the inside and his purchase date was June 23rd 1924. I purchased it at Hershey a number of years ago, it was used very little no smudges or greasy finger prints. One of the few I have seen with genuine leather covers.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

Now that you are being taken care of by the federal government, let me tell you the wonders of Social Security and of course the jewel in the crown Medicare.

Our Government wants to care for and help its senior citizens, so they may retire in comfort and not be worried about the high costs of medical issues.

So this year our fine Government has decreed we social security members will NOT get a cost of living increase, BUT here is the best part we are lucky enough to have our medicare premium raised. So then end result is less social security and higher medicare premiums. Only in America.

Once again we get screwed after paying into the system for nearly 50 years.

just sayin'
brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 07:03 pm:

When we were in high school, anyone who was 60 years old was older than dirt! Now most of us here are past that. It's all relative. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

Mr Brass car guy you are bordering on being anti American.
Who do you think you are to expect the government to keep its promises?
You just need to keep paying and paying and stop bellyaching like an old man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 08:43 am:

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and health information. :-) I'm on my way to number 66 and a busy retirement. I must say, the Aleve (Naproxen Sodium) was a good tip. I hope my GF can keep up now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 08:50 am:

My friends and I call Ibuprophen "vitamin I"! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 09:36 am:

Good to hear all you *old timers* talking about your problems...makes me feel better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 09:52 am:

Happy Birthday!

I have a 26th edition Machinery Handbook dated 2000.
I barely ever used it because I can google search an answer faster than finding it in a book... I think I would have enjoyed being a draftsman the old way with pencil and paper better than today's methods though.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration