Windows 10?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Windows 10?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 09:54 am:

My PC comes up with a free offer from Microsoft for windows 10 every start-up. With my system and no issues is there a reason to change?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 10:36 am:

No!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 10:36 am:

Free ?

My dad always said:

"you get what you pay for".

Numerous previous posts have said NO to your question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Barchock Canton, Mi on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 10:41 am:

If you have Windows 7 I say no. If you are stuck on Windows 8 I suggest the upgrade it fixes all the BS that Windows 8 caused.

I do suggest editing the privacy settings if you do

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/the-windows-10-priva cy-settings-you-need-to-change-right-now-1301257

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 10:57 am:

Like Jack said, "NO", and like Dave said.."you get what you pay for"...after going through half a dozen "affordable" PC's I finally got up the nerve to go "all out" and bought an I-MAC and so far, much better. Sure, it's not without the usual occasional computer "glitches", but trust me, this one is so much better to use I've already forgotten all the frustrating days with the Windows OS. I'll never go back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 11:04 am:

I have 10 with no problems, my computer guy said it is similar to 7 but with more stuff?

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 11:25 am:

Double check Paul...

I think those free offers are actually only free trials...and if you don't like it or refuse to pay for it at the end of the trial, MS will uninstall it.

What I have never had explained is...uninstall to what? To original OS? To 8 when you started with 7? To a stripped down 10 that is a 10 as an OS but stripped of the newer front end features?

Just check it out fully first and if no loopholes...then give it a try. (I say that writing on a Win 7 machine, knowing that the two PC's in the home office STILL run XP...hah!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 11:33 am:

I have the 8.1 with cable its very fast and the set is very powerful. I was wondering if it would become unsupported like XP. After reading your link Tony it makes me think the fifty or so political mails deleted a day are coming from my use of this forum and the word T associated with T party.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

Microsoft is like the white house -- you can't trust what they say and when they finally find something that works they will find a way to mess it up.

It is my policy to wait for a few years before doing any upgrade because I want to see what is in it BEFORE installing it and give them time to fix the major bugs.

The one time I got didn't follow my policy I got a new computer with Vista and it was the worst computer decision I ever made.
Microsoft has a marketing plan that forces you to spend money for upgrades every few years that you don't need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

Upgraded my Windows 7 HP pc to 10 last week. Went flawlessly. No issues with the upgrade. Had to update a couple of drivers but everything works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 01:07 pm:

I bought a new laptop last month, came with 8.1, and before I used it, I upgraded to 10--but had to do this downtown at the theatre using their wi-fi, as at home I have dial-up at 33K. Took over two hours on wi-fi, but, I figure since it was a new computer, without anything but 8.1 on it, no software, that was the time to do it. Seems to be working fine, but I only use it when I'm in town do do stuff that dial-up won't allow. I also had to load in MS Office downtown too, as all you get nowadays when you buy the software is a "key" to allow you to download it. That took almost an hour too. . .
10 has some different ways of starting and stopping stuff, but so far I've figured them out.
BUT, I agree with Fred!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 01:27 pm:

Be careful David! :-(

We are heading for trouble when people from both sides of the country agree! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 02:22 pm:

Hey Fred, I'm closer to MS than you are, and have a relative that works for Amazon in Seattle--I KNOW I agree with you!!
:-)
It's also dangerous that we both think we're funny!!
:-)
(as in Funny Bone, not Padded room funny)
Heh heh heh.
Off to work, enough sittin' in front of the monitor!! (on a Win7 machine)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

I upgraded all my PC's at home to W10, no issues at all.

After setup you will have to turn off some items that Microsoft will default to "ON". These are over privacy concerns. Google W10 security and you should be able to find the issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

I dont do winders :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 04:00 pm:

If you want to rid yourself of that annoying icon, do the following.

Go to the control panel and open up "Windows update"

Click on "windows update history"

Look for the following updates...

KB3035583

KB2952664

KB3021917

Highlight and uninstall each one separately.

If you do take the Windows 10 upgrade it is only free for a year. After that you need to purchase it or it will automatically remove itself from your computer. I think that would be cause for concern as to the stability of your computer after its removed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

I upgraded my pc to an iMac and never looked back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 06:10 pm:

I'm running XP and it still works without Micro-sqish's permission just fine. I turned off their auto updates after it gave me some update that was for 7 or 8 or something and it randomly shut down my computer. Found that little bugger and got rid of it. Now my computer is running fine again.

I'm tired of all the Windows crap and their bloody upgrade systems that change every other year, but I'm not fool enough to go with Mac either. Linux looks good and I liked their Ubutu and I'm currently looking at Mint, never hurts to look around a bit first before you choose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 06:31 pm:

Seems like there is always some thing to make work with a PC or an operating system. My 8.1 started locking up. After some looking I discovered the issue was my brides snacks playing her games with the mouse wheel making it stick with sugar coated fingers.
Thanks for the suggestions and help I think the 8.1 system will stay for now I don't see how much could be improved its by far the fastest setup with quick to find features and searches I have owned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 06:40 pm:

Not so Don. That's not how the upgrade works. It is true that the upgrade is free for one year but if you upgrade, it remains free for life. If you decide to upgrade from Windows 7/8.1 AFTER the free period (one year) then you must purchase a retail version of Windows 10. In either case, lifetime updates are free for Windows 10.

Personally, I'm staying on Windows 7 until support runs out in 2020. After that, I'll probably just use an iPad or similar. I just flat don't like Windows 10.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 06:50 pm:

By the way Martin; Linux = Mac = Ubuntu = Mint = the hundreds of other variants of the Unix OS. None are without their faults either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

If you have win 7, @@@****KEEP IT!****^^^^. If you have win 8, throw it in the trash fast. Go with the free win 10. Win 8 is the worst. 10 was developed to correct much of what people HATE about 8. The free windows 10 takes a while to load and it is only free for one year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 12:09 am:

If my 8.1 was like it was when purchased from Costco I would agree with you Tyrone. Took the set to my PC geek and he made a few changes that make the 8.1 a winner. It used to take five seconds to bring up a profile now its one. For kicks I clicked on Tonys link at the top of this thread same story one second to load it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 10:12 am:

Just my opinion here guys. Windows 10 is a good operating system. I even upgraded my Dad's PC (he is 87) to Windows 10 and he likes it and has no problem with it. The key is to do the custom install and not let it do all the reporting and require login to make it simple to use. Kim Komando's web site has some good articles to read on Windows 10 in case you decide to do the upgrade. If you don't go to 10, you will be screwed when Win 7 support ends. You need to look at future requirements to keep you PC running well.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration