Model T Perspective, Part 2

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model T Perspective, Part 2
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 10:15 am:

I mentioned in my original post about going to look at what turned out to be an original 23 Roadster. This car was traded in when it was about 10 years old. By the looks of the car it was extremely low mileage. It is probably the reason the dealer kept it for himself. The problem is it has had extremely poor storage. The pictures look way better than what the car actually is. It has heavy crusty surface rust, even on top of the cowl (like as if something leaked on it), the worst was a huge mouse nest on both sides of the car by the gas tank area. One side of the car had a rust hole because of this, and the metal around it for about a foot section extremely weak. If you sand blasted it, it would be full of holes. I could have bought the car for 3,800.00 but due to the rust I passed on it.
Bruce, I'm glad you were inspired to get into T's again. I've heard about your drive-abilitly problem from others before. There are a few things that you can do to make T's a lot more pleasurable to drive. The first is to install a Ruckstell, and of course additional braking. At one point Ford authorized this as an accessory, I believe this was the only accessory he did this for. It makes going up hills so much easier, and much easier on the drive train. If these cars had Rucksell's new, I doubt there would be the crankshaft issues some have today. The other thing I've done is gotten my cam re-ground at Chaffin's, stock grind. The other is a high compression head. I've had 2 Z Heads but would not recommend them. The performance is great, but the quality is poor. Especially getting the head gasket to work on it. Some places it doesn't even touch the crush area of the gasket. I'm surprised I haven't had a blown head gasket because of this (I had to do a lot of work on it, to make it work, even having it surfaced before I could use it). The new head by Prus, is really a piece of art compared to the z head. It is 100.00 more but believe me it's well worth it. I was able to take it out of box and bolt it on the car, end of story. Last thing I have had my coils rebuilt by Ron Patterson, and haven't touched them since. This car is such a pleasure to drive now, and I'm talking about my 14. I could get in that car and drive forever. We usually put a couple hundred miles on it anytime my wife and I go out for a ride. I get more pleasure driving this than I do my A or V-8's. The past three years we've put over 10,000 miles on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 11:43 am:

Hi Dan : Yes, I'm happy to be back in the T hobby again. I needed something to tinker with and this has turned out to be a full-time thing. The Coupe runs well now, and I've spent a lot of time experimenting with carburetors, settling with a Stromberg OF after trying several Holley straight throughs, a Stromberg RF and a few Kingstons. I did install a Z head and it seems to be OK and the power is noticeably better. I installed a Velo 5 speedo and can get the car to 54 MPH, but don't try it often as 45 feels much more comfortable. I installed a set of Lockwood outside brakes and they make a huge difference. Recently I've been spending my time eliminating squeaks and rattles one ay a time to the point that the car is much quieter than when I got it last May. I also designed and installed a "power step" so Linda could get in and out easier as she is now dealing with Parkinsons. That 17" first step was just too much. All in all ,the car has proven to be just what I needed to keep me busy doing something I really enjoy, as well as re-uniting with the Model T community. Cheers : Bruce

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration