Direction Needed for cutting down 26 touring body into roadster pick up.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Direction Needed for cutting down 26 touring body into roadster pick up.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 10:23 am:

I know it's sacreligious, but it is what it is. I've got a rolling chassis only and the opportunity for a touring body, fenders, brackets, running boards, sets, etc at an offer I can't refuse. So if we don't try to preach to the choir here and just conceed that a touring body wants to get cut down into a roadster tub and then a wooden pick up bed installed on the rear, chat is the best way to do this?
The donor body has some issues and I want to visualize how this proces is done before I commit to it.
I'm presuming the touring tub is cut off right behind the front seat and the front half is intalled to the cowl as usual. Then the rear panel behind the rear seat is cut off and welded behind the front seat to the two cut down down panels. In effect, just eliminating the rear seat area of the touring body.

Is this the just of it?
I searched other threads, but only could find images of the finished projects, not the process.

I'll hang up and listen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 10:27 am:

No need to splice the rear panel from the rear seat onto the front seat.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/90586.html?1241302391

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 10:28 am:

I think it would just get cut off at the rear door sills. The rear side of the front seat is exposed as it would be in the touring. Build away :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 10:31 am:

Just save the rear section...you may want it someday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 10:52 am:

Don't want a pick-up that badly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 10:52 am:

My 1924 touring was cut off and converted to a pickup long before I bought it. Here are some pictures before and after its 2008 restoration. In 2008, the bed was converted from a plain bed to a dump bed, which besides being neat, makes access to the battery and running gear easy. The cut-off
was done rather crudely around the wood sills and the rear foot rest area, but at this point it's part of the character of the car and I see no reason to change it. :-)

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

pic5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

There are different ways to hack apart the all metal bodied '26-'27 touring to put a wood bed on the back.

The extreme way is to cut thru the metal frame rail just back of the rear doors, remove the door hinges, and put on the wood deck or bed.

But the better way is to save the entire frame rail assembly, including the rear sill. That keeps the body and its sub frame together. And that rear sub frame gives a nice support to mount a deck or the wood bed. Lots of ways to finish the joint there, this one is curved wood for earlier period bed, straight board against the rear door post would be nice too.

Note how sub frame is kept in place. And the neat reposition of the top support bracket to mount a runabout top frame on a touring body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 01:14 pm:

complete 26 touring bodies are fairly scarce, even "with issues" --I think I'd advertise for one that's already cut up and use the complete body as trading fodder. You might even find a roadster P/U body!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

David

That is true, if the touring is fair, keep it intact to trade. Lots of front cowl and seats around that have been cut off.

Always thought a good effect could be made by covering up the rear of a poor touring, keeping the front seat, and putting on a 'C' cab like body, slip fit over the rear of the touring car.

These were made back in the day to make closed cab little truck from the '26-'27 car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

Someone mentioned a few weeks ago that they have two roadster bodies that they would be willing to sell to a person that was looking for one. They may still have them and may be willing to trade for your touring. Maybe someone remembers the posting and can help to remember where to look. I tried to find it but had no luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 05:15 pm:

I've been through the classifieds on this site, but will do so again. Since my interest in the touring body is mostly in the fenders and running boards and brackets and irons, the body is kind of an "extra", so if I can save it or traide it for what I'm trying to get down to, that would be ideal.

I haven't laid my hands on the touring body yet, but it seems pretty toasty from the photos I've seen. I do have a cowl that came on this speedster chassis, so all I really need is the two front doors and panels and a seat and some kind of tub behind it. All the rest will need to be "created".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

If I wanted some sort of canvas top, no need for convertible, could be permanently mounted, would I need some sort of rear tub panel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Calvin Watts on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

Robert, you didn't say what year the touring body is. I have a '17 touring already cut off. I might be willing to do some trading. I'm in Fairmount. 60 miles north of Atlanta

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Calvin Watts on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 11:02 am:

I see.now it's a 26.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 11:26 am:

I have a cut off 26 touring in a zillion pieces in my garage. Want a zillion pics of how it was cut?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

Gonna lay my hands on the 26 touring body tomorrow morning and I'll go from there.

Don't need a zillion pictures at this time. But thanks for the offer.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration