Old Photo - Posing In A Centerdoor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Posing In A Centerdoor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 11:13 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 11:26 am:

The drivers seat seems to be facing the wrong way. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 11:44 am:

Looks like the front left fender already had a ding in it. It looks kind of strange. I've seen a lot of bent up T fenders over the years but not quite like that one.
I bet he was backing up and hung it up on something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

I think they are all locked inside and hoping someone will unlock the door and let them out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 05:15 pm:

If I ever buy a second T it will be a centerdoor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 05:52 pm:

Jay -- thank you for posting so many great old photos.

Circa 1919-1920 Centerdoor

Rationale: Bruce's (R.I.P.) "Model T Ford" page 293 -- door handles nickel plated bail handle 1919-1920. Before that they are listed as black, changing to a "T" handle in 1921 and an "L" shaped handle for 1922-3. Ref page 293. The demountable wheels and lack of oil side lamps also support 1919 or later.

Center door sedans are neat looking Model T Fords.

If we could tell what type of demountable rims, that might or might not also help determine the year. Disclaimer -- assumes parts were not changed out.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 06:07 am:

That spotlight is cool, I have always wondered where they mounted them. Do you think it was on the door?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 06:09 am:

Oops, Let me rephrase that...Do you think it was on the pillar?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 08:14 am:

Is it possible to lower the front side window on a centerdoor for access to the spotlight?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 10:51 am:

Yes, the fronts & side windows go down - the rear quarters only partway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 11:10 am:

Can he open the door with the toolbox there? Looks like it should have been more forward on the running board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 12:07 pm:

Lucky thing the door on the passenger side appears to be open!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

Is the picture of the Center door at your new place Steve?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 01:19 pm:

That appears to be a battery box and looks like the door would be close - depends on the photo angle.

No John - Milton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 01:56 pm:

I remember looking at one of these at the big car museum in Mitchell, SD 40 years ago.
I didn't know a thing about T's or old cars, other than I liked them and a general knowledge
of styling and years. But the center door fascinated me, with it's "pumpkin carriage" center
door styling and this one stands out in my memory of the hundreds of cars they had.

Fast forward 40 years and a lot of design study and this car now strikes me as oddly dis-
-proportionate and kind of goofy looking. The center door is really neat, but the humped roof,
tall side glass, and overall shape of the back, with that out-of-place giant oval rear window
makes this one "different" looking car and a very "different" looking Model T.

I still don't know much about Model T's. How popular was the center door, as opposed to
a sedan ? What marketing was used to promote this body type. In other words, who was
buying a center door at a time when most cars were touring bodies ?

It's an interesting car, for sure. Probably some interesting historical "story" behind why they
were made and a target market they were aimed at.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 04:08 pm:

Since most body building companies had come out of the carriage building trade, it was natural to follow coach building methods and styling. Center-door sedans were offered by many of the automobile manufacturers in the early to mid '10s. I have seen Studebaker, Chandler, Chevrolet, Overland, even a Packard and a White. For several years, it was the enclosed sedan style of choice. More conventional (at least to us) style sedans didn't start becoming common until the late '10s, By 1920, pretty much all the center-door sedans except for Ford were off the new market. Ford started marketing a conventional sedan about 1921, and for two years had to push the center-door cars through the dealers to sell off the inventory. There were a few famous letters from Ford on the subject.

Center-door sedans is just another of those things where it is all about what you are used to. And I like them.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

Don, it looks like part of that spotlight shows on the inside, like it is drilled through the pillar. JD

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration