Octane Education

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Octane Education
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay's a suburb!) on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

Still pleased to find the non-ethanol for the T and small engines!
http://www.powernationtv.com/post/car-tech-101-the-secrets-of-octane-what-happen s-when-youre-cheap
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 06:07 pm:

The link dead ends for me. It there supposed to be an article there or something? Strange entry page pops up. It's asking to run Flash Player, but that's not going to happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 06:29 pm:

it played for me Marv thanks for the link

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, October 23, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

OK, so what's the big news here? Mot cars are designed to run on 86-87 octane pump gas thanks to a plethora of DET sensors and Variable Cam Timing. The Model T runs famously on octane that high. The issue not covered on the video was that the octane level of gasoline is achieved in a couple different ways. One is by additional refining of the base crude stocks and additives, the other is the addition of ethanol that itself has a high octane number...but fewer BTU's than petrol. In order to take advantage of high octane fuel the compression has to be a lot higher than what a Model T's babbitt can withstand for long. The quest seems to be finding non-ethanol gasoline. Most folks think you need to buy premium to get that, but if you look around you'll find it in 89 and 86 octane too. and both grades do run fine in my car and give me a little more mpg's as well, albeit at a slightly higher price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay's a suburb!) on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 12:32 am:

-Ken-
Belated birthday wishes to you!
The video is found with the 2nd panel of the link.
Marv

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration