1927 Cowl Lacing Rivets and Installation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1927 Cowl Lacing Rivets and Installation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 04:14 am:

I began replacing the cowl lacing tonight and believe that I ordered the wrong stuff. What I ordered from Lang's was the double-beaded set with brass rivets. I found a few past threads on installing the lacing and thought that I was doing just fine, but putting the head inside the cowl (the gas tank is out) and bending the tangs to fit in between the two beads.

I was having trouble installing the 2nd and 3rd lowest rivets and, again, began searching the forum to find out that I am not alone and found some solutions to the problem. In my query, I also discovered that some of the improved cars (an original 1926 specifically mentioned) had brass rivets and some had nickel plated rivets.

So, my questions are: 1) Am I installing the rivets correctly; 2) were rivets or shanked push pins used on the hard-to-get holes; and 3) did all of the 1927 cars have nickel-plated rivets or did some have brass rivets?

I really do not want to have to wait and buy more stuff, but I also want my car to be as historically correct as possible. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 05:30 am:

It's likely Ford put the lower rivets in place before everything was assembled in the cowl section of the body, so it's almost impossible to place them there now with a complete body. Very few will notice if you put a pop rivet in the lowest holes and paint it black - and not much of the rivets are seen, just the tangs that's bent..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 10:41 am:

It seems unlikely that Ford did that although I don't know how they did do it. When it came time for me to place those bottom rivets, we decided to put them in the lacing before attaching the lacing and then securing the lacing at the bottom with silicone. There has been a discussion about this just recently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

Did you guys use brass or nickel plated rivets?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration