Another scammer, beware

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Another scammer, beware
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 08:12 am:

If anyone gets an email from a "Ryan Garrity" located in Westlake,LA 70669, I believe he is a scammer. He answered my ad for some engine parts and it just didn't seem right.

The final tip off for me was when I asked for the size of the pistons and material. His answer was 40 mm (which is about 1.57"---a far cry from a the stock size), and never he stated the material.

He also stated he had all the parts I listed in my add, and listed them almost word for word. My guess was copy and paste was used. The Email contained very good English and punctuation, and the price was sort of reasonable, but again, it just didn't seem right. Use google and yahoo for searches, it only takes a few minutes. I have found everyone that I have bought parts from on here through searches as verification if I wasn't already familiar with who it was.

Ask lots of questions, and if you don't get the answers you seek, move on. I like to send pictures of the items I sell, it lets the person know they are real, but it does take more time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 10:02 am:

Considering how inventive these scammers get, a friend advertised for a early Buick radiator. A scammer sent a response and told my friend he has such a radiator at a quite reasonable price.

My friend asked for photos. The scammer sent photos of my friends other restored early Buick, with the story he was replacing the radiator with a new one from Austrailia.

Of course my friend knew it was photo of his car, so he played along and offered to buy the radiator. He told the scammer he would buy it at any price because it looked so good. The scammer told him he wanted $5000.00. They agreed on the price.

My friend then emailed the scammer and told him he had just sold a car and had a cashiers check for 10grand. He would send it to the scammer and when the scammer figured out the freight costs just refund the unused portion of the 10 grand.

guess what, never heard from the scammer again.

Just for the fun of it my friend used the scammers email address and signed him up for every possible mailing list he could find.

just sayin,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Hagopian on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 01:24 pm:

Excuse me for butting into your club. I am not a Model T owner. I am an admirer and really like the speedsters. But, I have other projects I am already behind on.

I just registered to ad my comment on Ryan Garrity. In the last few days I have heard from him on a wanted ad I posted on Row52. His response was similar to the ones sent to Chad. I am looking for some wheels that are hard to find, but, Ryan seems to have plenty. He wouldn't tell me where he would ship from. His responses to me were also very suspicious. I am staying away from him. Sounds like a scammer to me too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 01:48 pm:

Thank you for posting, Bruce. Your experience is helpful. Knowledge is POWER in dealing with folks who do not live by the Golden Rule.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 01:59 pm:

If there is a way to get your money a scammer will try it! Before I got rid of my land line I got a call from a "Bank Inspector" wanting me to withdraw $10,000 to catch a crooked teller, I set up a meet and told him what I would be wearing then called the local police and gave them all the info. They said they couldn't do anything because no crime had yet been committed. Wonder what he thought when I didn't show up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 02:10 pm:

Also be aware of INTELLIGEEKS.NET. They install a pop up on your computer that you can't get rid of with a phone number to call immediately. After a very long conversation, and taking control of your computer (if u let them), they do get rid of the malware and ask for $299.00. Google them and see what you find. I use my computer for banking and it scared me...I learned lesson. DON"T ever give control of your computer if you don't know for sure who they are. They also said that Apple and others refer these problems to them. That is false!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 02:22 pm:

Yeah, Ryan is pretty well known among the Willys people too. He must have a huge property with thousands of NOS parts because he has every part for every Willys ever made. He also wants to buy my 49 pickup I have for sale and will send his agent to pick it up as soon as I accept his paypal payment. Can't call because he is deaf so he has to only email or text. He can come "this day" with the money. I've had all sorts of fun with him, most of which couldn't be printed on a family forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 02:28 pm:

He text me also on the 27 fordor, no e mail just text, big joke, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 04:45 pm:

If I can save just one person from getting scammed, than this post was worth it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Schrepfer on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 05:49 pm:

Chad and others, if Mr. Garrity contacts you again see if you can get an address. I live near by and would happy to check him out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

Got a call from one of the major airlines yesterday. They asked if I had charged a flight with my credit card last numbers xxxx. I said no, I hadn't flown in a couple years. She said they suspected so and had already cancelled the transaction and credited my credit card. I asked why they suspected it as a possible bad purchase. She said the flight booked was a same day purchase, it left from Mexico to two places in Europe and back to Mexico. This rose a red flag or two and they cancelled the purchase. Now to call my cc company and get a new card.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 06:15 am:

A few yrs. ago, I won an auction on ebay for a Model T engine stand. The guy was a scammer.
He kept giving me excuses for me not getting it, from, the box was damaged by UPS and pieces were missing to family emergencies
I got his address from ebay, but it was in California and I was in Indiana. He jacked me around until time was up to file a claim against him. If I would have got to Ca. I would have looked him up.
Knowing what I know now, I would have had a forum member close to him, check him out. Screwed me out of $200.00.
RDW

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration