Wheel Type

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wheel Type
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By henry h on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 02:34 pm:

What type of wheel do I have. This is a front that looks different from those seen on the other respoking threads. The spokes have the rounded nubs rather than the normal tenons.

t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 03:47 pm:

I had one of those. When I took it apart, it was like that. Threw it away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 04:12 pm:

Looks like a late Firestone. Look around the valve stem hole, that is where the marking is most of the time. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By henry h on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 08:31 am:

Is this a stock T wheel? If so, what type of spokes?

Can anyone help identify?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 08:54 am:

It's a stock Model T wheel, Ford had a drawing for that type of spoke too - but they're rare. Maybe it's from an outside supplier that wasn't used as much as others?
Here's one thread where it's discussed: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/437128.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By henry h on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 09:06 am:

Thanks. Not only is the spoke different at the tenon end, but the felloe is different as well. rather than holes for the tenons, there are dimples that match the spokes.

Can this be respoked using the usual spoke replacements (lang's, etc)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 09:29 am:

Henry: Question is "Do you have the right rim to fit it?". This type of wheel was also made with the other type of felloe. The one with holes for the spokes. If the rim is the right one, look for the other type of felloe. The right rim has a tit around the valve stem to fit the ring you show on the felloe. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 09:36 am:

Have some of those type of dimple felloe wheels on my '24 touring. Unknown mfg., but the felloe takes the later lug rims, like Haynes.

Mine are still real strong, so haven't ever tried to have them re-spoked. Sure it could be done, if the wheelwright has a good spoke to go by, should be able to make a set and fit them correctly. Solves any issue of water getting in and rotting the tenon end, or a tenon fracturing, as there is no hickory exposed like typical spoked wheel below.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By henry h on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 11:05 am:

Can I use the hub with a replacement felloe and respoke with the available (round tenon) spokes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 11:35 am:

Yes. I would.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 11:41 am:

I have a few of the dimple type wheels in my garage. They will stay there as they look unsafe to me. I would think that if the spokes got loose and started to move against the rim, they could come out????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 02:09 pm:

I disassembled a couple of those a few years back, they were in bad shape but still had to cut part of the spokes. They wouldn't just fall apart, I would not hesitate to use a good set. KGB

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration