OT It's with a great sadness

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT It's with a great sadness
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 06:43 pm:

I have to report today with a sinking heart and a tear in my eye I put the speedster away for the upcoming Winter months. I'm a little emotional right now, so please forgive me if I don't elaborate on the horrible details of what transpired today.

I will tell you that I put the Sedan in beside it and noticed it was sporting an under inflated right rear tire. However I doubt it will deter me from taking a few more opportunities to take it out and take a few runs in it before the snow flies.

So tonight there's a melancholy feel in the air and a bit of darkness in my heart as I turn toward the month of November and the impending cold winter waiting just around the corner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 06:44 pm:

The sun will shine again.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

That's what happens when you choose to live in the frozen tundra area of our great country. There are other choices. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 07:01 pm:

Michael, we understand completely and feel your pain, but remember there is a season for everything ( song by the Byrds in the background). There will be a time for rejoicing when the sun shines and the wee speedster comes back into the light. Just keep a stiff upper lip until you enjoy the exilleration of the wind in your hair (if you have any left) and feel the rumble of the little 4 cylinder motor converting fossil fuel to real horsepower.

But as Mike says - stop bitchin as move south!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

Mike, don't despair. Maybe with the upcoming "El-Nino" (can't put that little squiggly thing above the "n")...you just might get a mild enough day or two to take it out for a spin. That's what I'm banking on down here in the cesspool of winter weather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

Don't be a wimp. :-)

I might bring a set of tire chains to the swap meet next month, which would be perfect to make that speedster a 4-season vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

Your living in the wrong part of the world, i'ts T weather all year round down under!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

Thats one of the reasons I stay in crazyland instead of leaving. I can drive all year round.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

I dealt with this issue by suggesting, and then organizing a mid winter tour. Usually held on the shortest day, It has been surprisingly popular, and next winter will be the eighth 'Winter Solstice Run'.

So far, the coldest temp has been 2 degrees c, and the max, 20 degrees c. Only rained once for 5 minutes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

The Model T is the Year 'Round Car:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

I drive mine year round, as long as the roads are clear.... :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

I don't understand what you are doing! I was born and have lived all my life in California. Our fall and winter is just a little cooler than summer except that it gets dark a couple hours earlier. Sometimes we might need a jacket and cap to ride in the open cars, but here if it should snow, which it does sometimes, the snow usually melts when it hits the ground or an hour or two later. However, if El Nino happens, we might have a lot of rain this next year. I know I am rubbing it in, but this is one of the good things about our state.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

Derek, there's a swap meet next month?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

Mark Cameron's in Owatonna November 14th.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

I forgot about Cameron's. I've only made it down there once but remember having a pretty nice time. The thing I remember the most, as I recall, involved "food"! Hopefully I'll be able to make it again this year. I'm having some fairly severe back and leg pain but, with the help of God, I might be able to run down there. Hope to see ya there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

As long as I can get the old heap to cooperate and start, I will drive it year round, conditions permitting. I can remember about 26 year ago driving my 63 Austin Healey Sprite roadster in early January at about 5 degrees with the top off (not down, it came completely off). It was worth it to see the expressions on people's faces in traffic when they saw me.
I also remember driving a year old 73 MG Midget to college. Below 25 degrees the heater would not keep up, and it was cold. Those cold winter mornings on the way to 7:30 classes, the alternator could not keep up with the electrical demand. The headlights had to be on, as it was dark, (I ran Bosch H-4's illegal in those days). The defrosted had to run to see, and the radio had to be on, as I was that age. Sitting at a red light I would have to blip the throttle to keep the turn signals working. I remember on really cold mornings when the heater could not keep up how much warmer I would feel when an MBG I used to see often going the other direction would pass me with no top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

This is a picture of a T owned by someone in Washington State. it's one of the prettiest T pictures in my library.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 09:53 pm:

I guess when we talk about being out there in the cold a lot of us can talk about spending a good many hours on snowmobiles running at 60 to 70 mph for hours on end. And that was before hand warmers and all the other comforts they have now. Kinda makes your little Model T excursions seem a bit minor. I can still feel those bogie wheels and slides hammering down on poorly groomed trails and -20 degrees Fahrenheit. But I digress. I might take the Sedan out again on Christmas like I did last year. We'll see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

Our Denali Trip last month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 10:31 pm:

You can always move south for the winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

Michael,a speedster would be easy to turn into a snowmobile. Don't have to remove any fenders. One of Cameron's first swap meets I drove my T to it 60 miles away and it was 7 degree when I started. Since then other people have driven there T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

Tim,

"(...can't put that little squiggly thing above the 'n')"

Try ALT-164 - El Nio.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 12:01 am:

Hal-
That's Oregon.
: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 12:11 am:

Dean, that speedster would be a beauty of a snowmobile. Now ya got me thinkin'.

I think the one time I was at Cameron's you drove a T there. I think you guys had a roadster (?) for sale that year.

I doubt I'll be driving my T down there this year. It'd be a long haul down I-94 and I-35 from North of St Cloud. :-)

Last year I drove my Sedan at least once every month except February. I've always been shocked by how well they handle the snow. Not so much the ice. They don't use much salt and sand up here on the side roads.

I remember taking several back roads down there between Owatonna and Mantorville. As I recall most of them went through West Concord.

It seems strange to think that was 20 years ago. The biggest mistake I made in my life was moving from the farm south of Owatonna to Foley MN. But now I'm in Rice and it's not too bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 12:37 am:

Thanks Keith. It sure is pretty!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 07:30 am:

Tim: or you can bring up the character map and just drag and drop what ever you wish. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 09:45 am:

I would love to take the car out in the winter after a snow fall and get some cool pictures, but they salt like crazy here! It is because of the salt that most northerners don't take their cars out in the winter. As soon as a couple snowflakes start falling they have the salt trucks out! Just terrible! Yes, that is the price we have to pay to live here. That is not enough to wanna make me move though.

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 11:39 am:

Hi Nevin,
There is a local large-scale live steam model railroad club in the next town (Holliston, MA) that has a live steam meet every New Year's day. I don't know if they would hold it in a blizzard, but I have never heard of their cancelling it. No wimps in that group!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

Michael, I plan on getting my snowmobile out this winter. First I have to change the motor trans and also put in an auxiliary trans. The motor and trans was in the 14 as a backup until the original went back in. Derek and I pulled it out of the 14 when he had trouble on the Gallina tour in July. I am taking it to Cameron's swap meet to give it to Andy Loso to fix it. Then I hope to have fun in the snow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 01:29 pm:

Dick, Seor Smartypants can do it on a Mac without any numbers. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 05:54 pm:

Dean, it sounds like a plan. Andy should be just about ready to stop goofing around and get in the shop where he belongs! :-) We try to keep him on a short leash but he's a big boy with a mind of his own. And now they won't let us beat him with a switch anymore so... Darn Progressives! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 06:15 pm:

We tour in California rain, snow or shine. Even over nighters.

Shaver 2

Shaver

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

Winter . . what's the problem??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 12:17 pm:

Roger, is that the same IHC high wheeler that was at Hershey this year? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

Anyone ever noticed that there aren't any tire tracks in the snow before or after the cars in the pics? I smell a 'photoshop' happening. Mike, I'd drive my '26 Touring in colder weather if I had side curtains. Unfortunately, I do not...yet that is. So next week the snowmobiles come out, and the Model T gets put to bed. Might see you at Cameron's if I make it down that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 02:48 pm:

No Mark, my 1912 International Autowagon has never traveled more than 200 miles from where it was originally sold in Southwestern Minnesota.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 03:01 pm:

I agree with Kevin, it's time to get the snowmobiles out. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

Here's one I forgot to add. By the way Kevin, I don't see the tire tracks very well in the photo of your 26/27 Touring either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

Roger,

That's because my car was headed into the garage for the end of the season from the shed. The dog wanted to go for a ride but I was too cold. I know...I'm the weenie.

Derek, your snowmobile is way cooler than mine will ever be. But when the turbo kicks in I'm pretty sure I can beat you down the trail. However, you're still having a lot more fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

Oh come on now Roger, admit how balmy it stays living that far South. :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 11:40 am:

Mike, you sure got that right . . at least this year.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration