Retracing our steps. Your help please.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Retracing our steps. Your help please.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

8 years ago Sandy and I visited Detroit and Dearborn. It was a really big deal for us and the memories are just wonderful.
We spent 6 days there, visiting Greenfield Village the Henry Ford and the Piquette Ave plant. We also toured some of the Ford landmarks such as Fair Lane.
Just this morning we decided we'd like to go back and retrace our steps, by adding this to an already planned National Parks tour.
Back in 2007 I had lots of guidance from fantastic folk on this forum as to where we should visit, what we should do and I'm hoping to draw on that resource once again.
My main reason for wanting to do this is to see how the Piquette Ave plant has progressed through its restoration, but I expect there to be many other changes throughout the area too. We're planning this for the summer of 2017, so there's lots of time to get it right.
So, your suggestions and guidance here, would be much appreciated. Not just Ford things but anything to do with Motown, where to eat, where to stay, and heck, I'd even go to a GM museum.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

Further on this.....is there anything, Ford wise, left to see over the border in Walkerville?
That's where my '21 was made.
Thanks & Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

Rob, If you trip dates work out, I recommend that you attend the Old Car Festival at The Henry Ford and Greenfield Village. It's on the first weekend after our Labor Day, which is on the first Monday in September.

I'm sure you've read about the OCF here on the Forum and probably watched at least one video on it, so you know that you don't want to miss it.

Since you're going to all the expense, etc. to make the trip,you should really try to be at the OCF. If time permits, don't forget the possibility of Hershey too.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

Rob,
The Walkerville (Windsor) plant is long gone. Now it is an empty riverfront property surrounded by a fence.
Some of Ford Canada's Archives are located at the University of Windsor
http://web4.uwindsor.ca/units/archive/ford.nsf/inToc/CCAD2710F20C265685256A3F007 364B1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

"Thank you" Keith & Steven.
Yes I've seen lots on the Old Car Festival, over the years and always envied those folk who were in a position to go. (Same for Hershey) Maybe its my turn.
From what I'd read about Walkerville, I'd assumed as much. I wondered if there was anything there at all....a plaque maybe.
Once again Gents, Thank you.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

Rob,

There is an outdoor sculpture of Ford workers in Walkerville (east Windsor now) Also a memorial to the founding of Ford of Canada by the river.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

A non-Ford spot to visit is the Packard proving grounds. Restored or being restored, I believe. I don't know if the decaying carcass of the Packard factory can be visited.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 02:11 pm:

The Gilmore Museum is a couple of hours West of Detroit, but it is a real gem and definitely worth the drive.

http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/

-Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 10:45 pm:

Gentlemen,
Thank you all for your suggestions.
I'm presently looking into all of them.
"T" on.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 04:26 am:

Rob
Add Auburn Indiana if you visit the Gilmore, The ACD Museum is worth the trip and it is only two hours south of the Gilmore.

Don't miss the Great Court at the Detroit Institute of Arts. Painted by Rivera it has the Christ Child looking down on the auto workers.

A visit to the Stahl Collection in Chesterfield Township is awesome.

Also a day drive through the countryside to see the Ford Dams and Village industries will give you an appreciation of rural America.

If you go to the Packard Proving Grounds in Utica be sure to stop in downtown Utica to see the gas pump and petrol collection at USA tire.

Flint Michigan and hour north has the Sloan and Buick Museum. Lansing has an Oldsmobile Museum.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration