Mother Lode T club's last 2015 tour today. Casualties.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Mother Lode T club's last 2015 tour today. Casualties.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 10:19 pm:

Today we had our last tour of the year, the annual fall colors tour. About 25 cars, mostly model T's, a few A's and off brands. Two T's bit the dust today, resulting in new stewardship of the club's hard luck trophy. Both of them are cars I have worked on, but involving parts I have not touched. Still kind of embarrassing, though. People don't always know that. I feel like a cardiologist who loses a patient to colon cancer. One of the cars I just put Sure Stop brakes on, suffered a collapsed low drum and resultant carnage. The other I built a new engine and trans for suffered disintegration of the rear end thrust washers. I did mention to the owner that this would be an issue soon. Luckily, it happened on a flat surface road, not some of the other places we drove today, this car has no auxiliary brakes. Probably plate glass too. I had tow trucks in and out of my place all day today. Business is booming at Rumble Seat Garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

Sorry to hear but fully feel the pain I been there and had the thrust fail at speed once I never trust something I haven't reworked again
Cars can be fixed so glad no one was hurt
Happy trails

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 12:17 am:

It's never much fun when a car craps out on tour. Glad to hear it all worked out. I'm glad I was able to change the thrust washers in all my Ts before I had a failure. No brakes would be some scary stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 08:36 am:

Glad the casualties were mechanical and not human. I was afraid I was about to read a report of another accident.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

yep, and both majors happened in the first 10 miles of the tour. We were a bit worried about how it was starting out!
Here's the only two pictures I took that day, parking for the Donut stop. MMMMMM.
That's Erik's Dad, Rodger, standing next to their T touring on the left side of the photo. Other parties not identified to protect the guilty! :-)

One side of parking area

Other side of parking area

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 01:23 pm:

Whenever I see a Buick of that era I'm reminded of their advertising slogan. When better cars are built, Buick will build them. So when they came out with that Packard-like radiator shell, some wag proclaimed, "When better cars are built, Buick will copy them."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 01:43 pm:

I was recently on a one-day 1-and 2-cylinder tour in which an '06 Buick had to tow an '05 REO up a hill. I posted an account of the tour on the HCCA website and captioned the picture: "When Better Tow Trucks Are Built, Buick Will Build Them." If you're interested, here's the link:

http://boards.hcca.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=893

There was also a variant slogan: "When Better Cars Are Built, Buick Will Be Out Of Luck."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 03:33 pm:

The Buick coupe is a real nice ride. I am told that Packard filed suit over the 28 Buick radiator. It looks real close. They changed it in 29. We also had our 27 Buick roadster on the tour, and David drove my 16 Dodge.
It didn't occur to me to mention the casualties were mechanical. Sorry to have scared anyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 03:55 am:

Sounds repairable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 06:14 pm:

Hey Erik, now I know why you missed the Stag tour this weekend! That looks like Condon Park in Grass Valley, I guess y'all felt it safe to go to Grass Valley since the Stag tour guys would be gone!

In this photo we see Steve Straw's Bonneville car. He calls it "Stupid Car", a half T and half A creation.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 02:40 am:

Yes, it was Condon park. Couldn't make both tours in one weekend. Both the broken T's are here awaiting major surgery. They will recover. Right now we are trying to get everything under cover for the coming rain. You remember rain, right? Was Steve with you on the stag tour? He's a great guy, one of our friends in the F.A.S.T. club. We are racing the next two weekends with the hill climber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

See more photos from the tour
fall colors tour

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

Sure Steve was there... right behind AJ's right ear!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration