How does the hand crank spring go on.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How does the hand crank spring go on.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 11:53 am:

while I am looking at all the manuals to find the answer, would someone please tell me where the hand crank spring goes?

Is it suppose to be inside the bushing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

It has a small hole on crank image.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 12:05 pm:

got it thank you very much Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

No part of the spring should be inside of the bushing...

But on the other hand the original bushing is 5 star cuss word to get out and change, even on a good day :-)

When I get one where the spring wants to creep into the bush...I go get a fender washer with the hole size the same as the crank...grind the OD of the washer to have a flat side and be a 'D' (to clear the radiator lower tank) and then spray it black and paste that puppy in place... the open spring end then rides against the washer and does not try to walk to the other side of the radiator :-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 01:17 pm:

Another view of the spring sticking into the little hole in the crank.

Sometimes the hole becomes invisible because it's filed with dirt or paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

I recently had the problem of the spring slipping into the bushing.
As George and Steve say - you may need a washer.
After a bit of fiddling I found a metric washer that was perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

A spindle washer is perfect, just knock off the tab and your still using a Ford part, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 10:15 am:

Steve, it looks like that nut on the front oil pan support is loose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 11:18 am:

Cap screw. Yes, it was loose when the picture was taken. I don't remember why.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

Steve

That why is 'cause that 7/16" x 7/8" crank case front bearing cap screw on brass cars are drilled for wire, like the cap screws on the universal joint.

Close up of '15 original photo showing wire:

Later years used a lock washer under that cap screw, which is same as p/n 3008 cyl. head outlet connection screw, 7/16"x 15/16".

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration