Does the wide end of the Mae West go on the perch or the leaf spring?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Does the wide end of the Mae West go on the perch or the leaf spring?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 12:16 pm:

Does the wide end of the Mae West shackle go on the perch or the leaf spring?

Thank you in advance. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

Which ever way that the twist oiler is out on the bottom and at the top on the inward side - if that makes sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 12:32 pm:

My logic says the large end at top in front. This allows the oiler to be on the high side in back for easier access. I'm not sure Ford would have had a standard for that and may have been random from car to car. Maybe some will have old photos to show how they were back in the day.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

Not this way :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

Just the opposite, Richard - the reason the oiler inboard (towards the front of the car) would be at the top - to ease in access and physically not have to get under the car. Most close ups of early cars indicate that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

Large end goes in te spring. Perch oilers are on the rear side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 10:54 pm:

Ok, assuming the large end is down or on the spring, the operator side oiler is on the lower side and the farther side oiler is on the upper side. Front of the car would be depending on the front spring shackle or the rear spring shackle. I had not considered that the big end needed to be down. Good point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:46 am:

I fudged a pair of Mae West shackles by building up the end of a figure 8 shackle. I had the fat end of both pieces on the spring, having built up the wrong end!!!!!!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 11:54 am:

The large end has nothing to do with it. The oilers go as Steve and Dan mentioned!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 04:26 pm:

I have a different theory. The eye of the spring is larger than the end of the perch. To protect from dust, the big end of the shackle needs to go with the spring eye. Perhaps that is consistent with other explanations, I don't know.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration