Another auction

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Another auction
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 03:32 pm:

Thanks to Lyle Nelson for a heads-up on this auction. I drove up to Yankton Friday, stopped in to see Lyle yesterday morning, then went to the sale. There was so much stuff that it might have been better as a two-day sale. The auctioneers were selling a lot of it by piles and pallets to get through it all. They had done some sorting, but it was still quite a jumble of good stuff and junk. Unfortunately a lot of parts were pretty poor from decades out in the weather, but there were also some good usable items and a few real gems. I'll report later on some of what I brought home, but here are some pictures.

I usually get some good wheels or wheel parts, but most of them here were pretty poor. I saw a lot of sharp clinchers.

The stuff on pallets was sold last, and went cheap. Much of it at $5 to $20 a pallet. I was kicking myself for not driving the gas hog and bringing a trailer, because there were enough decent large parts I could have made a few bucks on them at Chickasha.

The 1930 Buick sold for $6000, and the 1928 Hupp for $4700.

The 1921 Overland brought $1500. The wood body was amazingly well preserved. :-)

1926 Ford chassis, $350.

26-27 TT with Ruckstell & Warford, $850.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 03:43 pm:

Was most of it bought by car guys or were the scrap dealers hauling usable stuff to the melter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

Not bad for the 26 Ford chassis! The engine alone is well worth that much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

Roger, I didn't detect any scrappers. The guys who bought the most stuff seemed to be T guys who knew what to get. A few things didn't get a bid and just sat. A scrapper would have taken them.

So here's most of my haul laid out in the driveway, being inspected by Tommy. As usual, a lot of it is extra stuff that came with whatever I was buying, including a couple of surprises. I didn't detect any wear marks on the U-joint, one of those extras, so I suspect in may be NOS. The shorter running board is bent and has extra holes, but the long one is near perfect. I couldn't find anything wrong with the two high heads, but nobody wanted them so I paid $2 for the pair. I gambled on the Muncie. It may turn out to be OK, or it may have been $20 wasted.

I think this made the trip worthwhile. Before the sale it was left out on a trailer in the rain, and picked up some rust, but it should clean up OK.

The static balance A-frame and the Muncie were most of what I spent. All the rest added up to $27. I consider that pretty cheap entertainment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

Mr. Frugal strikes gold again !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

Steve, Ill take the Muncie and the Static Balancer. :-) :-) Bring it to Chickasha.. :-) :-) I know you probably bought them for yourself but I really would like them if you do decide to sell... Good looking auction, I have not been to a good one in years...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 06:13 pm:

Darn Steve, looks like a pretty good score. That 1921 Overland could have got my interest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 06:40 pm:

Man that static balancer was worth the trip! Sweet! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 07:24 pm:

Never seem to have these kind of auctions around here for some reason. Guess there's just not that much "stuff" to sell.

Steve...did Mr. Kitty approve of everything?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 08:23 pm:

Steve,
I have a static balancer like yours and it works great. I see a water pump in your stash.....don't let Royce see that or he will want to scrap or cut it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

I didn't know the stuff included a water pump until I was loading up. That doubles the size of my water pump collection. Now I can chock two wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 09:11 pm:

Thank you for the pictures and i think i like the Buick then the TT. Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

21 overland would not gone that cheap if I was there nor few other items wish I was closer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:21 am:

Was this Yankton South Dakota?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:43 am:

Yes, it was. Several Model T guys showed up for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank M. Brady on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:51 am:

Thank you - Great photos Mr. Jelf. The '26 chassis reminded me so much of what my dad would call a "skip jack". In those days he could buy a T for $3.00 and drive it home - then strip off all the crumpled sheet metal and have a grand old time running them everywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 11:21 am:

Well shoot. Hadn't heard anything about it. that is only an hour away from my dad's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 03:12 pm:

see this just proves u need to have a good auctioneer, that will get the word out to the right people, he cost he owner a lot of money

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 03:31 pm:

Exactly Mike. We go to a lot of T auctions and most people in are club are open about sharing sale information. No mention was made at our local MTFCA or AACA meetings. I would have driven from Des Moines (4 hours) for this. Ohh well. I just missed out on a nice driver 1927 roadster also for $6,500. Sometimes it just isn't meant to happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

I agree that it could have been better advertised. It wasn't a huge crowd, and most of the folks I talked to were from the area. One guy who I gather was a relative of the late owner, was not happy with the auctioneers selling so fast, and told them to slow down. They didn't. It probably would have brought more if they had made it a two day sale and not sold so much of it in big piles at such a frantic pace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD, Wichita, KS on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 12:40 am:

Here is another auction.
Looks like some interesting items.

http://m.cjonline.com/life/connected/2015-10-17/overbrook-property-overrun-cars- trucks-tractors-host-auction#gsc.tab=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 02:20 am:

Now i would have probably bought all the wheels, And the 26 chassis. Imagine all the cars you can build with those.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration