Disassembly questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Disassembly questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeremy Brockhouse on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

I had 2 issues today while trying to take apart some of my 24 coupe.
1st....I cannot for the life of me get the headlamps off and out of the way. I removed the bolt underneath where the the lamp intersects with the rod holding the fender up. I cannot turn the lamp out, nor hit it out from the bottom. What am I missing?
2nd....I was trying to remove the pistons and was having troubles because the engine is locked up and I cannot free it up. Without being able to rotate, I cannot get to anything well enough to remove the pistons. Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 06:05 pm:

1. Headlamps, if you put the nut on until it's flush with the end of the thread and smack it under with a big hammer and it won't move, even if you add penetrating oil and tried to turn the headlamp, then sometimes the heat wrench is needed - ie a propane or oxygen / acetylene torch.

2.For a badly stuck engine you may have to pull it from the car, remove the hogshead, pan and all the bearing caps that holds the crankshaft and transmission assembly in place. The pistons can only be removed upwards, but you may try start the movement downwards first, loosening it up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

Is the engine in the car? Do you have the inspection pan off the crankcase? Is the head off the engine? Mix some acetone and automatic trans fluid 50/50 and pour it down onto the tops of the pistons. Let it sit a day or three. Then put a chunk of stove wood on top of the Pistons and smack it with a hammer. Of course it depends on just how solid the Pistons are rusted into the cylinders. It might involve unhooking the rod caps from the crank and trying to work the Pistons back and forth in the cylinders until you can drive them up from the bottom. If it's just stuck rings the acetone/atf mix should break it loose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 06:20 pm:

Make sure the dam is not stuck'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 06:21 pm:

Can
M not dam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 06:21 pm:

Ok I give up

Cam not dam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

Yeah, the dam cam, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 06:24 pm:

Fred, what are you trying to say? Ah, never mind. But he might look to see if his cam is stuck. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

I am trying to say something but i don't remember what it was.

Michael might be right but it is too late for me to attempt a brain rewind to figure it out.

Honey, pass me a bit more wine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 02:21 am:

I had that happen on a model A last month.
The car sat 10 years with water in number one cylinder.
We put ATF mixed with acetone in the cylinder and the owner added to it every day.
When I went back a week later we got the piston out.
The rust left pits in the cylinder so we had to bore it another .020".

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration