'25 Coupe new roof - How much 'Body Flex' is there?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: '25 Coupe new roof - How much 'Body Flex' is there?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay's a suburb!) on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 05:29 pm:

Sorry guys, you've probably heard me say "I'm not a purist." Am just thinking outside-the-box.
I've got a new 2X4 tube frame constructed, but will still need to put a new top on the '25. My thought is to eliminate a potential near-term (or longer-term) problem for my grandkids to inherit... I've already replaced, re-done and reinforced most of the top wood. Have heard about using padding, chicken wire, body 'flex', and then encountering a 'billow' when on a trailer... Am wondering what a possible solution might be? Thought about perhaps conforming a 22 gauge sheet of aluminum, then to glue the material on top, (like cars in the 80's?), plus the appropriate finishing tack strips, etc. Use the appropriate sealers with install, and 'problems' solved? Just wanting to keep it looking like the T it is. Share thoughts, please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay's a suburb!) on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 11:24 am:

Still wondering how much 'flex' (distortion) normally occurs with the T bodies?? It would seem logical there should be much less in a closed body. Just trying for unobtrusive improvements. Thanks.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 02:43 pm:

Well Marv, everybody seems to have an idea on how to "improve" the roof, but the Ford way has worked for how many decades? I think we sometimes over-think things! Amount of body flex is also determined by the roads you take your T on! A coupe probably has the least amount of flex on the roof of the closed body styles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 06:03 am:

Marv, don't mess up your T by adding aluminum or any anything else to the top. Do it as it was done originally. David D. is correct. Check out the threads that I have started and others, everything that you need to do it right is available. If done correctly, it will last a lifetime. JMHO. Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration